Pizza grilled cheese combines two of my all time favorite comfort foods: pizza and grilled cheese!
Grilled cheese is the king of all sandwiches and this pizza version is loaded with pepperoni and cheese and best of all, a crispy crunchy crust.
It’s the perfect meal any time of day and makes a great midnight snack!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sara Lee® Bread. The opinions and text are all mine.
Dill pickle bacon grilled cheese has always topped my list of grilled cheese sandwiches and then I met the pizza grilled cheese.
A perfectly grilled cheese sandwich is a childhood staple that just brings me back… dipping them in tomato soup or being in high school and adding the dill pickles on top and dipping them in ketchup (weird or no!?).
Pizza is definitely another one of my all-time fave foods so naturally marrying the two was bound to happen!
In this gourmet grilled cheese recipe a grilled cheese sandwich takes on all of the flavors of my favorite pepperoni pizza, but feel free to get creative and add in your own favorites toppings! The possibilities are endless; bacon, caramelized onions, olives, peppers or mushrooms, you can add them while it cooks!
A comfort food classic, this pizza grilled cheese whips up in under 15 minutes making it quicker than delivery and the perfect weeknight meal (or to curb a Friday night snack attack)!
This grilled cheese recipe is a whole lot of pizza love in one bite. Layers and layers of cheese and pepperoni, seasonings and herbs.
With all of that goodness packed in the middle, you’ll need bread that can hold it all in without falling apart; Artesano Bread is the perfect bread for this recipe.
It’s so incredibly soft yet it’s sliced nice and thick meaning it can hold up to all of the toppings you’re going to pack inside of this sandwich!
How To Make a Pizza Grilled Cheese
Grilled cheese is pretty easy to whip up, whether it’s for a weeknight dinner or a quick meal.
- Start with a preheated pan and place the bread in it, butter side down.
- Layer the on the cheese and toppings and top with another slice of bread, butter side out.
- Once everything is nice and grilled, flip until the sandwich is golden on the other side and you’re ready to serve!
How To Make This Sandwich Next Level Good!
While you may have seen or heard of pizza grilled cheese before, I have a little trick that truly makes this the BEST grilled cheese you’ve ever had. We all love the crispy pepperoni bits on pizza… so it was mandatory that this grilled cheese had the crispy bits.
- Once golden brown, remove the grilled cheese from the pan.
- Place a few slices of pepperoni & some mozza directly into the pan.
- Put the sandwich on the cheese and let it cook until crispy, cheesy good.
- If adding extra toppings, make sure they don’t have a lot of moisture or pre-cook them.
- Keep the heat low enough that the cheese gets all melty while the bread has a chance to get golden brown without burning.
- Use a non-stick pan so the crispy crust doesn’t stick.
Pizza Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices Artesano Bread
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons pizza sauce plus extra for dipping
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon basil thinly sliced
- pinch dried oregano
- 24 thin slices pepperoni about 1″ diameter
PEPPERONI CRUST (OPTIONAL)
- 6 slices thin pepperoni
- 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese
- Preheat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Butter bread and place 2 slices butter side down in the pan. Top each slice with 1 tablespoon pizza sauce.
- Layer cheese, 6 slices pepperoni, parmesan cheese, basil, oregano, remaining pepperoni and mozzarella. Top with remaining bread, butter side out.
- Cook 3-4 minutes per side or just until golden.
- Remove sandwich from the non-stick pan. Place 3 slices of pepperoni directly in the pan, top with 1 tablespoon mozzarella cheese. Place sandwich on top of cheese and let cook until crisp and crusted (about 1 minute). Serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Repin This Grilled Cheese Recipe
More Recipes You’ll Love
Dill Pickle Bacon Grilled Cheese
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sara Lee Bread. The opinions and text are all mine.
Sounds great. Going to try it.
I WILL USE THIS RECIPE OFTEN I LOVE PIZZA AND NEVER HAVE THE CRUST OR A NEAR BUY PLACE TO BY IT. THANK YOU.
You’re welcome, Mary! So glad you enjoy it!
If you sautéed mushrooms and onions then added it to pepperoni would that work
I’m sure that’d be delicious Lynette!