This Pecan Pie recipe is literally the best we’ve ever had! It is incredibly easy to make; simply whisk the ingredients, add chopped pecans and pour into the crust.
The results are a perfectly sweet buttery pecan filling in a flaky crust. Top this pie with whipped cream for serving. Perfection!
A classic pecan pie (along with pumpkin pie) is the perfect Thanksgiving dessert recipe for good reason.
- PIE CRUST Use homemade or store-bought.
- EGGS & CORNSTARCH These ingredients give the pie the right consistency and help it set.
- SWEETENERS Brown sugar, white sugar, and corn syrup are used in this recipe for both sweetness and texture. Either light or dark corn syrup can be used.
- PECANS I use chopped pecans in this recipe to make it nice and easy (and fuss free). Simply chop and stir them in.
How to Make Pecan Pie (overview)
Here is a quick overview of the steps you’ll take. It’s so easy!! (Printable recipe below).
- PREP CRUST Homemade pie crust or store-bought work just fine in this recipe. Simply line your pie plate with the crust and set aside.
- WHISK Add ingredients (except pecans) to a bowl and whisk.
- ADD PECANS No need to fuss with them, simply chop and stir in the pecans and pour the mixture into the crust.
- BAKE It’s literally as easy as pie!
Once baked you’ll want to allow lots of time for the pie to cool (at least 2 hours) so this dessert is best made the day before. You can store it in the fridge but we usually cool and keep it on the counter. Top with whipped cream.
How to Tell When Pecan Pie is Done
To tell if pecan pie is done, the edges should be set and the center should appear mostly set but should have a very slight jiggle with a gentle shake.
The pie will be puffed up and will settle slightly upon cooling. It should take about an hour to bake and a couple of hours or so to cool.
Time Saving Tips
- Use store-bought pie crust in place of homemade if desired.
- Prepare homemade pie crust dough months in advance and freeze. Thaw in the fridge overnight and roll as usual.
- Purchase chopped pecans to save on chopping.
- Prepare, bake and freeze the pie up to 2 months in advance.
- Line a pan with parchment if you have it, this makes for easy clean up if you have any drips or spills.
This pecan pie recipe (and most pies) can be made ahead of time. Bake and store at room temperature for up to 48 hours.
If you’d prefer, bake and cool completely. Freeze the baked pie for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and bring to room temperature before serving. It can
Fridge: Pecan Pie can be stored in the fridge loosely covered with plastic wrap for 3-4 days. Allow it to come to room temperature before serving.
As with most pie recipes, this is delicious topped with freshly whipped cream, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or a splash of heavy cream overtop!
More Classic Pie Recipes
- Traditional Apple Pie
- Rhubarb Pie
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Apple Crumb Pie
- Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Chocolate Pecan Pie
Homemade Pecan Pie
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups pecans chopped coarsely
- 9 inch pie crust unbaked
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make pie crust and line a 9" pie plate.
- Place eggs in a medium bowl and whisk until well combined, whisk in cornstarch. Add sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and vanilla. Mix well.
- Stir in pecans and pour into prepared pie crust.
- Bake pie 55-65 minutes, or until filling is set. Cool completely, at least 2 hours.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)