Chocolate Pecan Pie is extra rich, full of pecans and chocolate, and surprisingly easy to make.
This twist on a classic pecan pie recipe adds semi-sweet chocolate and some cocoa to the batter. The result is a rich and buttery pie with great chocolate pecan flavor.
A Holiday Favorite
Who doesn’t love a down-home, comfort food in the form of a mouthwatering, chocolatey dessert?!
Pecans: Crunchy pecans add flavor to this recipe (other nuts work too though). Toast the pecans by baking in the oven and cool before adding to the pie for the best flavor.
Chocolate: This pie gets a double dose of chocolate with semi-sweet chocolate chips and cocoa powder.
FILLING True to a traditional pie, the filling also contains some eggs, corn syrup and of course butter.
Don’t forget the house-made whipped cream!
How to Make Chocolate Pecan Pie
- Bake pecans until they are lightly toasted and fragrant. Cool.
- Microwave butter and chocolate chips per recipe below. Stir in cocoa powder.
- Mix corn starch and sugar. Add to beaten eggs.
- Stir in the chocolate mixture.
- Add chopped pecans and a handful of chocolate chips.
- Pour into an uncooked pie crust. Decorate with additional pecans if desired.
Bake the pie and allow it to cool for at least two hours after baking so it can set properly.
Make-Ahead & Storage
One of our favorite things about this recipe is that it’s best made ahead!
Bake and cool completely. Refrigerate until ready to serve (it can be served at room temperature too). If storing more than 6 hours, cover the pie with plastic wrap. It will keep about 4 days.
To freeze chocolate pecan pie bake as directed and cool completely on the counter. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and serve with whipped cream.
More Holiday Favorites
- Apple Pie Recipe – so easy to make
- Cranberry Trifle Recipe
- Pecan Pie Bars – so rich & decadent
- Pumpkin Pie Recipe – perfect holiday dessert
- Baileys Brownies
- Classic Pecan Pie Recipe – Five-star recipe
Did your family love this Chocolate Pecan Pie? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Chocolate Pecan Pie
- 9 inch pie crust unbaked
- 1 ¾ cups pecans
- ⅓ cup butter
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips divided
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9" pie plate with unbaked pie crust.
- Place pecans in the oven on a baking sheet and bake 6-8 minutes or until fragrant.
- Combine butter and ¼ cup chocolate chips in a small bowl and microwave at 50% power stirring occasionally until melted, about 1 minute. Whisk in cocoa powder and set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in a bowl ensuring there are no lumps.
- Place eggs in a medium bowl and gently whisk. Add sugar mixture, corn syrup, and chocolate/butter mixture.
- Chop 1 ¼ cup of the pecans and add into the filling mixture along with the remaining chocolate chips. Mix well.
- Pour into prepared pie crust. Decorate with additional pecans if desired.
- Bake pie 55-65 minutes, or until filling is set. Cool completely, at least 2 hours.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)