Sweet and juicy grilled pineapple is a delicious dessert or a side dish next to grilled chicken, a perfect summer recipe.
In this recipe, slices of pineapple are grilled to until sweet and tender. This fruit is great served with chicken, seafood, or pork. It is also sumptuously delish as a dessert with a little bit of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Perfectly Grilled Pineapple
- Grilled pineapple is so versatile and can be enjoyed in sweet or savory dishes. It’s a great side dish for chicken, beef, and especially seafood like salmon and shrimp.
- Chop it and add it to skewers like these chicken kabobs marinated in a teriyaki sauce.
- Because of its bright, tangy flavor and the way the sugar caramelizes on the outside, it’s a perfect blending of sweet and tart!
- Pineapples are inexpensive and easy to prepare in this recipe.
Pineapple – Fresh, ripe pineapple is used in this recipe. While fresh tastes best, frozen or canned pineapple is another great option.
Sugar – Brown sugar helps the slices to caramelize a bit better. Swap it out for a bit of honey or maple syrup.
Flavorings – We love a hint of ground ginger but try cinnamon, lime juice, or a dash of chili powder.
- Drizzle with a little rum to the marinade for a more robust flavor.
- Swap out the oil for melted butter.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut for additional sweetness.
How to Cut Pineapple for Grilling
There are a couple of options for cutting a pineapple. A spiral pineapple cutter will cut even pieces of pineapple every time but you can use a knife too:
- Begin by cutting the top and bottom off the pineapple.
- Stand the pineapple up on its cut end on a cutting board. Cut off the outside skin.
- Then lay it on its side and cut even slices (or pineapple spears if you’d like).
How to Grill Pineapple
This grilled pineapple recipe is super easy to prepare for dessert or dinner.
- Cut the pineapple (above) and slice it into ½ inch discs.
- Combine remaining ingredients (per the recipe below) and marinate for 30 minutes to 24 hours if time allows.
- Remove pineapple slices from marinade and grill on both sides (3-4 minutes). Brush the pineapple with additional marinade until the sugar has caramelized and has grill marks.
Tips & Tricks
- When buying a pineapple, make sure it has more of a yellow and vibrant green. It should be free of wrinkles and brown mushy spots.
- Stare into its eyes! The eyes should be almost all the same size, and they should be large and flat.
- Chope it and add it to salsa or threaded onto a fruit kabob and dipped into yogurt. Add it to cakes made with crushed pineapple, or top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
Sweet Summer Desserts
- Rhubarb Cake – sweet & tart
- Easy Homemade Peach Cobbler – serve with ice cream
- Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe – light & delicious
- Rainbow Fruit Kabobs – quick & easy
- Brown Sugar Grilled Peaches – perfect for summer
Did your family love this Grilled Pineapple? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 1 fresh pineapple
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- Cut skin off pineapple and cut into ½" disks.
- Combine olive oil, brown sugar, and ginger in a small bowl. Add to pineapple, toss well to coat, and marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Remove pineapple from the marinade and sprinkle with salt.
- Grill pineapple 3-4 minutes per side or until brown sugar caramelizes.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
I notice the center of the slices are left intact. Are they edible when grilled?
The centers can be eaten although they are a little harder compared to the rest of the pineapple flesh.