Grilled pineapple is sweet and juicy, the perfect summer recipe!
Why Grill Pineapple?
We love grilled pineapple because it is so versatile and can be enjoyed in sweet or savory dishes.
It can be diced and added to salsa or threaded onto a fruit kabab and dipped into yogurt. And dessert? While we often make cakes with crushed pineapple, if it’s fresh grill it and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or a dollop of whipped cream.
Because of its bright, tangy flavor and the way the sugar caramelizes on the outside, it’s a perfect blending of sweet and tart that everyone loves! It’s a great side dish for poultry, beef, and especially seafood like salmon and shrimp. Pineapples are inexpensive and easy to prepare in this recipe, and while it’s marinating, you’re freed up to do other things in the kitchen!
Ingredients & Variations
Some of the best tasting recipes are the easiest to prep and prepare!
PINEAPPLE Fresh, bright pineapple is used in this recipe. Be sure to slice the pieces evenly so they cook at the same rate on the grill!
MARINADE A few dashes of olive oil, brown sugar, and a pinch of ground ginger or cinnamon (optional) are mixed together and brushed on the pineapple.
VARIATIONS A little bit of rum extract added to the oil will give grilled pineapple a fun Caribbean flavor! Or, add some chili lime seasoning for some heat!
How to Grill Pineapple
Grilled pineapple is super easy to prepare.
- Cut the top off the pineapple and cut off the outer skin, then slice into 1/2 inch discs.
- Combine remaining ingredients (per recipe below) and marinate.
- Remove pineapple slices from marinade and grill on both sides until golden brown and sugar has caramelized.
Tips & Tricks
- Look for pineapples that are heavy, with bright green leaves and no soft spots or blemishes.
- Slice the pieces evenly to ensure that they will grill evenly.
- While the pineapple slices can stay in the marinade for up to 24 hours, any longer and the pineapples will become soft because of the acidic nature of the fruit.
- Chill any leftovers and chop it up to add to fresh salsa.
Sweet Summer Desserts
- Rhubarb Pie – sweet & tart
- Easy Homemade Peach Cobbler – serve with ice cream
- Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe – light & delicious
- Rainbow Fruit Kabobs – quick & easy
- Brown Sugar Grilled Peaches
- Key Lime Pie – no bake
Did your family love this Grilled Pineapple? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 1 fresh pineapple
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- Cut skin off pineapple and cut into ½" disks.
- Combine olive oil, brown sugar, and ginger in a small bowl. Add to pineapple, toss well to coat and marinate at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Remove pineapple from the marinade and sprinkle with salt.
- Grill pineapple 3-4 minutes per side or until brown sugar caramelizes.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)