Refrigerator pickles are a quick, homemade recipe and the perfect way to enjoy your favorite garden cucumbers!
Fresh cucumbers are sliced or cut into spears and soaked with dill and garlic in an easy pickle brine!
Why We Love Refrigerator Pickles
Garlic dill refrigerator pickles are easy to make and the recipe can be easily tweaked for a spicy or sweet version!
Tweak the brine to make it your own, add more vinegar for a punch or more sugar to make Refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles.
These pickles are pretty much effortless, ready to eat within a couple of days and everyone loves them!
Fresh, small cucumbers are perfect for this recipe! Any size of cucumbers will work, just be sure to cut all the pieces evenly to fit inside the jars.
HERBS & SPICES
Fresh dill, garlic, salt, and pickling spices give these cucumbers some zesty flavor! Salt helps to draw out moisture from the raw cucumber so that it can be replaced by the flavors of the seasoned brine.
It is used to ‘pickle’ the cucumbers. I used white, but try apple cider vinegar if that’s what you have on hand!
Adding a little bit of sugar brings some sweetness to this dish since it has so much acidity.
For a spicy version, add some chili flakes or habanero peppers! Feel free to put in sprigs of dill or sun-dried tomatoes; jalapenos or even red onions!
How to Make Refrigerator Pickles
- Boil water with vinegar, salt, sugar, & peppercorns, allow to boil for one minute. Remove from heat & allow to cool slightly.
- Wash cucumbers & slice ½ inch thick or cut into spears.
- Divide garlic & dill over 3 large mason jars. Add cucumbers & top with cooled brine mixture.
- Seal jars & refrigerate at least 3 days before serving.
I try to shake or turn my jars each day if I remember!
How Long Do They Last?
Because these easy refrigerator dill pickles are brined in vinegar, they will last just as long as store-bought pickles do! As long as they stay submerged in the brine, they will stay crispy and flavorful!
More Uses For Pickles
Did you love these Refrigerator Pickles? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 2 pounds cucumbers small
- 10 sprigs dill fresh
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- 2 ¾ cups water
- ¾ cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- Cut cucumbers into quarters.
- Place cucumbers, dill, garlic, and spices in jars.
- Bring water, vinegar, sugar, and salt to a boil until dissolved. Cool 15 minutes.
- Pour over cucumbers and cool completely.
- Place lids on jars and refrigerate at least 2 days or up to 1 month.