Why get take-out egg drop soup when you can make it at home in just minutes?
A ginger and garlic infused broth is filled with thin tender strands of egg. This recipe is full of flavor and really quick to make, perfect for a busy weeknight dinner when time is short!
What is Egg Drop Soup?
Egg drop soup is a delicious Chinese favorite with a ginger-flavored broth filled with thin strands of egg.
This soup is so easy to make, too! One pot, a few steps, and dinner is served!
Pretty much all recipes for this soup have the same ingredients, broth with flavorings (ginger/garlic), cornstarch, eggs and green onions. That’s all there is to it!
The cornstarch is required in this recipe for consistency but mainly to help with the texture of the egg strands themselves. While you can drizzle the eggs in from a bowl, I find adding them to a sandwich bag and snipping a tiny hole makes this soup even easier to create.
There are many optional additions to this soup including tofu, mushrooms, bean sprouts, sesame oil, sriracha, or even corn. I like to keep it simple with just the basics.
How to Make Egg Drop Soup
- Whisk together some of the broth and corn starch.
- Bring everything (except eggs) to a simmer. Slowly drizzle in whisked eggs while stirring the soup.
- Remove ginger and garlic, stir in green onions and serve.
- Remove the garlic and ginger once the soup cooks. This keeps their pungent flavors from overpowering the soup, creating a more delicate flavor.
- Pour whisked eggs into a small sandwich bag and snip a corner off at the bottom to make streaming the eggs into the soup easy.
- Ensure broth is at a simmer, not boiling, while adding the eggs.
For leftovers: Keep egg drop soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stove and refresh the flavors with a little salt and pepper.
Take-Out at Home
- Easy Homemade Chow Mein – 5 minute cook time
- Beef and Broccoli – sweet, savory & spicy
- Homemade Egg Rolls – golden & crispy
- Sesame Chicken – a family favorite
- Easy Fried Rice Recipe – better than take-out
Did you love this Egg Drop Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Egg Drop Soup
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 clove garlic whole
- ½ inch slice fresh ginger
- 5 green onions thinly sliced whites and greens divided
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- crushed red peppers to taste optional
- Combine 1/2 cup chicken broth and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Bring remaining chicken broth, garlic clove, ginger slice and the whites of the green onions to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the cornstarch mixture and continue stirring until the broth is simmering.
- While stirring the soup, pour in the eggs slowly in a very thin stream* (see tip), this should take about 1 minute. Bring just to a boil and remove from heat. Discard ginger and garlic clove.
- Top with green onions and crushed red pepper flakes (if using).
More Favorite Soup Recipes
- Homemade Wonton Soup
- Lemon Chicken Soup
- Chicken Rice Soup
- Homemade Wor Won Ton Soup
- Unwrapped Wonton Soup
Recipe Inspired “Egg Drop Soup” Recipe. BHG 17th Addition, New Cook Book 2018. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2018. 352. Print.