This homemade egg roll recipe is so easy to make!
Seasoned ground pork is mixed with coleslaw placed in wrappers and wrapped in crispy egg roll wrappers. Add a simple sesame dipping sauce and serve!
We love egg rolls when we order takeout and making them at home means we can enjoy them anytime a craving hits!
Homemade Egg Roll Recipe
- Savory homemade egg rolls are a fun snack, appetizer, or side dish and can be made with or without meat. The filling options are endless!
- This versatile recipe makes homemade egg rolls on the stovetop, baked in the oven, or air fried.
- Using coleslaw mix makes these extra fast.
- Make in advance and freeze. Cook whenever a snack attack hits!
Ingredients in Egg Rolls
We fill egg roll wrappers with all kinds of fillings from sweet to savory. In this recipe, love ground pork paired with ginger, garlic and veggies.
Ground Pork – This egg roll recipe uses ground pork but ground chicken or even finely chopped shrimp. Egg rolls are a great way to use up leftover bits of meat and veggies too.
Cabbage – You can finely chop cabbage and carrots but we use prepackaged coleslaw mix to save time. Slip in some chopped spinach, kale, or even some crunchy bean sprouts and water chestnuts!
Seasonings – A healthy dose of garlic and fresh ginger add a lot of flavor.
How to Make Egg Rolls
Egg rolls are super fun and easy to make:
- Make Filling: Brown the meat with ginger & garlic. Add cabbage and seasonings.
- Roll Egg Rolls: Place a few tablespoons of meat and coleslaw in each wrapper. Roll per the directions in the recipe below.
- Cook: Deep fry, air fry, or bake the egg rolls until crispy.
How to Roll an Egg Roll
- Place the filling in the center.
- Wet the edges of the egg roll wrapper.
- Fold the top around the filling. Fold the sides in, and then roll tightly.
- Repeat with remaining egg rolls until they’re all rolled.
What to Dip Egg Rolls In
The Sesame Sauce below is a favorite with bright, salty and tangy flavors. Add a little sriracha for a spicy kick if you’d like!
Make Ahead, Storage and Reheating
Keep leftover egg rolls covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat them in the oven or in the air fryer, or if there’s leftover filling, prepare it in a bowl in this fun recipe for egg roll in a bowl.
Freeze leftover egg rolls in a zippered bag for up to 4 weeks. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Like most recipes with a crispy crust, these homemade egg rolls are best eaten right away when fried crisp.
More Fun Egg Roll Fillings
Did your family love these Crispy Homemade Egg Rolls? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Crispy Homemade Egg Roll Recipe
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon Chinese 5 spice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 ½ cups packaged fresh coleslaw (or 2 ½ cups finely chopped cabbage & shredded carrots)
- 16 egg roll wrappers (6 inch square)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 quart canola oil for frying
Sesame Sauce (optional)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- Cook garlic & chili flakes in oil over medium heat until fragrant. Add remaining ingredients and cook an additional 3 minutes. Remove from heat and refrigerate until serving.
- Over medium heat, cook pork, ginger, garlic, onion powder, Chinese 5 spice (if using), and soy sauce until no pink remains.
- Add the coleslaw mix and cook 3 minutes more or just until it starts to soften. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oil to 375°F.
- Combine flour and water in a small bowl.
- Lay out one egg roll wrapper with a corner pointed toward you. Place ¼ cup of the pork mixture in the center. Use your finger to spread a little bit of the flour mixture along the edge.
- Fold two of the corners together to make a triangle, fold the sides in and then roll tightly. (Seal the edges with the flour mixture if needed).
- Fry egg rolls until lightly browned and crispy turning occasionally.
- Serve with sesame sauce.
Place egg rolls, seam side down on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
Brush or spray the egg rolls generously with cooking oil.
Bake at 400°F for about 18-22 minutes or until golden brown, flipping halfway through. To Air Fry: Preheat the air fryer to 390°F.
Spray prepared egg rolls with cooking spray and place them in a single layer in the air fryer.
Cook for 8 minutes, flip the egg rolls over and cook an additional 3-5 minutes or until crispy.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.