Chicken Soup is the perfect meal any time of day all year long! This Lemon Chicken Soup will warm you from the inside out, especially during this winter weather. Cozy on up to a big bowl of t!
There’s a reason that chicken noodle soup is the universal comfort food… it just WORKS! One spoonful of that familiar savory soup recipe and you’re transported back to childhood.
Chicken Soup for the Soul
Doesn’t that just look like pure comfort food?
I just love to serve delicious and hearty soups like Vegetable Soup, Ham Bone Soup, and this easy Chicken Orzo Soup! This is no ordinary chicken soup though, it comes with a bit of a twist! This lemon chicken orzo soup has got plenty of fresh herbs like rosemary and oregano, uses orzo pasta, and has a squeeze of bright lemon juice.
How Do You Make Lemon Chicken Soup?
This soup can be made in about 30 minutes on the stovetop. And you can even shave that time down by using precooked chicken. We like to make this soup extra quick with rotisserie chicken leftovers too! The steps to make easy chicken soup are:
- Cook the chicken and set aside
- Cook the vegetables
- Add broth and bring to a boil
- Shred chicken
- Add orzo, chicken and herbs to the broth
It’s that simple!
Do You Cook Orzo Before Adding to Soup?
Nope, it cooks right in the soup as it simmers, so there’s no need to dirty another pot! I’m all about recipes that use less dishes.
Can Other Pasta Shapes Be Used? What About Rice?
Absolutely! Chicken soup can easily be made with any kind of pasta and this Greek inspired lemon soup is no exception. Any short cut of pasta will work, just simmer until the pasta is al dente.
Rice will work well to make a chicken lemon rice soup recipe, but keep in mind that different types of rice have different cook times. White rice should be tender in about 12-15 minutes, just do a taste test to make sure.
So the next time you get a craving for classic comfort food, give this delicious Chicken Soup recipe a try! Our favorite thing to have alongside chicken soup is my incredibly easy No Knead Artisan Bread!
More Delicious Soups to Try!
- Turkey Soup
- Meatball Soup
- Homemade French Onion Soup
- Easy Hamburger Soup
- Easy Crock Pot Ham and Potato Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup
Lemon Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 chicken breasts boneless skinless, trimmed of fat
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 1 large celery stalk diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken broth reduced sodium
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cup orzo pasta dried uncooked
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh oregano
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley minced
- Add olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter to a large dutch oven or stockpot and heat over medium heat. Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Add chicken to dutch oven and cook 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown and cooked through. Set chicken aside on a plate.
- Add remaining butter to dutch oven, then add onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in dried thyme.
- Pour in chicken broth and water, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits in the bottom of the dutch oven. Bring to a boil.
- While soup is coming up to a boil, shred chicken using two forks. Once soup is starting to boil, stir in shredded chicken, orzo, bay leaf and add sprigs of rosemary and oregano. Reduce heat and simmer 10-12 minutes, until orzo is tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaf and rosemary/oregano sprigs. Stir in lemon juice and fresh parsley. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.