Jicama slaw is the perfect side salad or crunchy topping for tacos.
Three ingredients and a creamy dressing are all you need for this bright, slightly sweet slaw! It’s so easy to prepare the day before, letting all the tangy flavors blend!
What are Jicamas?
Jicama (he-kah-mah) is a root vegetable with a thick skin native to Mexico. Sometimes it is called a Mexican potato or a Mexican turnip.
Jicamas have a crunchy and starchy white flesh and taste mildly sweet. I always describe it as a potato that meets apple kind of texture. They can be eaten alone, raw or cooked (like baked jicama fries) and are a staple in Mexican food recipes.
They make great snacks for kids, too! Just wash, peel, and slice them!
How to Make Jicama Slaw
Jicama slaw is as easy as 1, 2, 3! With just three ingredients tossed in a homemade creamy dressing, it is the perfect side.
- DRESSING: Combine all ingredients and refrigerate. For a spicy kick to the dressing, add a pinch of ground red chile pepper!
- SLAW: Julienne jicama and carrots and mix with slaw. Add other tasty add-ins like diced mango or grated apple for some extra flavor!
- COMBINE: Fold in the dressing into the slaw mixture and toss to coat evenly.
Chill in the refrigerator at least one hour before serving. Serve using a slotted spoon.
What to Serve with Jicama Slaw
Aside from any and all things Mexican food-related, jicama slaw definitely is a side salad that can stand on its own!
- Don’t be afraid to pair it alongside a chicken, beef, or pork entrée.
- And it makes a great side dish with garlic grilled shrimp!
- If you are feeling bold, try it with sriracha grilled shrimp!
How Long Does Jicama Slaw Last?
Jicama slaw will last about a week in the refrigerator but may get watery after a few days.
No worries, simply drain off the excess liquid, punch up the flavors with a little bit of lime juice, salt, and pepper and serve it up in another new way.
Easy Crunchy Slaw Recipes
- Classic Coleslaw
- Creamy Broccoli Slaw – ready in 15 mins!
- Dill Pickle Coleslaw – a tangy twist!
- Easy Asian Slaw
- Creamy Apple Slaw – light & crunchy
- Cilantro Lime Coleslaw
Did you enjoy this Jicama Slaw? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Cilantro Jicama Slaw
- 2 cups slaw
- 2 cups jicama julienned
- 1 cup carrots julienned
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tablespoons cilantro
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Prepare and combine vegetables.
- Stir in the dressing and let chill 1 hour before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)