Chicken Tacos are an easy weeknight meal perfect every day of the week! A delicious change from our usual ground beef tacos, these feature seasoned chicken breast with fresh lime juice for lots of flavor!
How Much Chicken for Chicken Tacos?
Since we add lots of toppings and cheese, I allow for about ½ chicken breast per person give or take. If you’re using shredded chicken I account for ¼ cup of chicken per taco.
How to Make Chicken Tacos
Making chicken tacos is as easy as 1,2,3! You need just a handful of ingredients and about 20 minutes!
You can use taco seasoning on chicken, I prefer to make homemade.
- Toss diced chicken in taco seasoning (see recipe below).
- Saute chicken until fully cooked and lightly browned. Then add lime juice and zest.
- Warm tortillas by placing them in the microwave. Then keep them in a ceramic tortilla warmer or a casserole dish set on a warm towel.
- Place chicken mixture and toppings in the center of the warmed tortilla.
Toppings for Chicken Tacos
The best chicken tacos start with the best toppings! The classic combination in the recipe below is my favorite but here are a few others to try.
- Veggies: black olives, pineapples, jalapeños, avocados
- Cheese: Other kinds of shredded cheese like cheddar or Monterey jack
- Beans: Black beans, pinto beans, or refried beans
- Sauces: sour cream, salsa, hot sauce, and guacamole
What to Serve with Chicken Tacos
While tacos are delicious on their own, a tasty array of side dishes never hurt!
Make a delicious taco salad, chicken quesadillas or enjoy tacos for days to come.
Add leftover chicken to pasta or even chop it up to make a yummy taco inspired Chicken Salad!
- Shrimp Tacos – almost effortless meal!
- Easy Ground Beef Tacos – 30 min meal
- Cheesy Oven Baked Tacos – easiest way to make tacos!
- Easy Fish Tacos – fresh & flavorful dish
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos – most flavorful & tender chicken!
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos – Family favorite!
Quick Chicken Tacos
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 package taco seasoning or homemade
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime zested and juiced, divided
- ½ cup tomatoes diced
- ½ cup yellow onion diced
- ¼ cups cilantro minced
- Kosher salt to taste
- 12 6" flour tortillas warmed
- ½ cup cotija cheese crumbled, or cheddar
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl evenly coat cubed raw chicken with taco seasoning.
- In a 12" skillet set over medium-high heat add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and cook chicken, in batches, until browned and fully cooked on the inside.
- Add all of the browned chicken to the pan and add in the juice and zest of ½ lime. Then remove the chicken from the heat and cover with a lid to keep warm.
- In a small mixing bowl add tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and the juice and zest of ½ lime. Stir to combine and season with kosher salt to taste.
- Add an equal amount of chicken to each tortilla and top with an equal amount of the tomato mixture and cheese.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!