Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup is loaded with beans and veggies and is topped off with your favorite Mexican fixings. The perfect meal for a busy weeknight!
This easy soup recipe takes just a few minutes of prep and making Crockpot Shredded Chicken is pretty much effortless!
Chicken Enchilada Soup Ingredients
I’m all about the quick and easy dinner options. This slow cooker chicken enchilada soup is one of our favorites, it takes just minutes to put together and is the perfect hearty meal to come home to after a long day.
There’s not much better than soup made in the slow cooker, and this enchilada soup is no exception. It’s a simple combination of chicken breasts, frozen corn, black beans, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, onions and peppers that meld together into a flavorful combination after cooking all day.
Just like in Chicken Rice Soup, the chicken goes in raw and is shredded before serving.
Tips & Substitutions
This recipe calls for whole chicken breasts. As the chicken cooks it will become ultra tender and simply needs to be shredded with two forks into bite sized pieces prior to serving. This recipe is written for a milder soup.
If you prefer a soup with more spice, you can use a spicy enchilada sauce or swap out the standard canned tomatoes with a can of hot and spicy Mexican style tomatoes. Sometimes I use pinto beans instead of black beans for a little variety, and if you don’t have a red bell pepper, a green one works just as well.
This cooks all day in the slow cooker but of course can be made on the stove top the same way I make my Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Chicken Enchilada Soup Toppings & Fixings
My family’s favorite part about this slow cooker chicken enchilada soup is the toppings! I like to put out bowls of toppings so that everyone can make their own creations. Tortilla strips are a must have for this dish, other great options are shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, diced avocado and sliced olives.
This soup has all the flavors of chicken enchiladas with a fraction of the prep time. I always keep the ingredients on hand for busy days when I know I won’t have a lot of time to cook dinner. This recipe is a hit with kids and adults alike, and is sure to become a part of your regular dinner rotation!
Additional Slow Cooker Soups You’ll Enjoy
- Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup
- Crock Pot Ham and Bean Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 red bell pepper cored seeded and finely diced
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 10 ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Toppings for serving such as tortilla strips, sour cream, chopped cilantro, diced avocado, or shredded cheese
- Place the chicken breasts at the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic powder over the chicken breasts.
- Add the corn, black beans, onion and bell pepper to the slow cooker.
- Pour in the tomatoes, enchilada sauce and chicken broth.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
- Remove the top and shred the chicken breasts with two forks.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with your choice of toppings.
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love