These stuffed mushrooms are the perfect appetizer for game day or a party!
Mushrooms are stuffed with a cheesy sausage stuffing and baked until juicy and melty.
Selecting Mushrooms for Stuffing
Choose smaller mushrooms for a single bite or medium-sized for a two-bite appetizer.
White button mushrooms or cremini mushrooms are smaller and hold about two to three teaspoons of filling – perfect for a party appetizer!
Other ingredients needed for sausage stuffed mushrooms include:
- Cheese: Cream cheese is the base for these mushrooms while cheddar cheese adds flavor.
- Sausage: I use breakfast sausage, but you can swap in spicy Italian sausage if you’d like.
- Flavor: Mushrooms and sausage add a lot of flavor to this recipe. I also add a little bit of onion, garlic, and Parmesan cheese for flavor.
How To Make Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
To scoop out the center, bend the stem to snap it out and use a small spoon, a melon baller, or a tomato corer to create a well in the center. Once the mushrooms are prepared, fill and bake!
- Sautee the diced stems, onion, sausage, and garlic in a pan per the recipe below.
- Combine the cream cheese, the mixed cheeses (reserve some for topping), & the sausage mixture in a bowl.
- Fill mushroom caps, sprinkle with cheese, & bake until melted & cooked through.
Prepare This Appetizer Ahead of Time
Make these sausage stuffed mushrooms up to days in advance. Cover in plastic wrap and store in the fridge. Bake as directed.
To freeze, prepare as directed and freeze them in a single layer before baking. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Bake from frozen, adding 5 to 7 minutes to the cooking time.
Did you make these Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 24 medium white or brown mushrooms or 48 small mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ pound sausage
- 2 tablespoons white onion minced, or finely chopped green onoin
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- parsley for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp paper towel to remove any debris. Remove the stems.
- Using a small spoon, scrape out the middle of the mushroom to make a well for the filling. Finely dice the stems and any bits that have been removed.
- In a 10-inch skillet, cook the sausage, onion, garlic, and chopped mushroom stems over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat and cool the sausage.
- In a small bowl, mix cheddar and parmesan cheese. Reserve ¼ cup for topping.
- In another bowl, mix the cream cheese, cheese mixture, cooled sausage, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Fill each mushroom cap with the cream cheese filling.
- Sprinkle the reserved cheese on top and bake for 18-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the mushrooms are cooked.
- 3 tablespoons Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted salted butter
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.