Mushrooms stuffed with heaps of cheese and sausage are baked until golden and bubbly.
Mushrooms are stuffed with a cheesy and delicious sausage stuffing and baked until tender and melty.
Savory and cheesy, they’re great for a crowd and can be made ahead of time.
The Best Mushrooms for Stuffing
- White button mushrooms or cremini mushrooms are smaller and hold about two to three teaspoons of filling – perfect for a party appetizer! Choose smaller mushrooms for a single bite or medium-sized for a two-bite appetizer.
- Stuffed portobello mushrooms are large, meaty, and delicious. Enough to become an entrée or side dish all their own!
How To Make Stuffed Mushrooms
To scoop out the center, bend the stem to snap it out and use a small spoon, a melon baller, or a tomato corer to create a well in the center. Once the mushrooms are prepared, fill and bake!
- Sautee the diced stems, onion, sausage, and garlic in a pan per the recipe below.
- Combine the cream cheese, the mixed cheeses (reserve some for topping), & the sausage mixture in a bowl.
- Fill mushroom caps, sprinkle with cheese, & bake until melted & cooked through.
There are so many ways to change up this sausage stuffed mushrooms recipe.
- Veggies: roasted red bell peppers, sundried tomatoes, diced jalapenos,
- Meat/Seafood: any kind of sausage including Italian sausage or turkey sausage. Swap it for crab, bacon, or chopped shrimp.
- Seasonings: Finely chopped scallions, herbs, red pepper flakes.
- And ALL kinds of cheeses can be used!
Make and fill the mushrooms up to 2 days in advance. Cover in plastic wrap and store in the fridge. Bake as directed.
Stuffed mushrooms can be frozen before cooking. They may produce a little bit more liquid and the texture may change slightly but they’ll still be great.
Can You Freeze Stuffed Mushrooms?
To freeze, prepare as if baking them but freeze them in a single layer instead. Once frozen, put them in a zippered bag with the date on it. They will keep for about 3 months.
To reheat, simply thaw at room temperature and bake according to the recipe instructions.
Yummy Stuffed Mushroom Recipes
Did you make these Stuffed Mushrooms? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 24 mushrooms or 48 small mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ pound sausage
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese divided
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese shredded
- parsley for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel to remove any debris. Remove the stems.
- Using a small spoon, scrape out the middle of the mushroom to make a well for the filling. Finely dice the stems and any bits that have been removed.
- In a 10-inch skillet, cook sausage, onions, garlic, and the chopped mushroom stems until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- In a small bowl, mix cheddar and parmesan cheese, reserving ¼ cup for topping.
- In another bowl, mix the cream cheese, cheese mixture, cooled sausage, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Fill each mushroom cap with the cream cheese filling.
- Sprinkle the reserved cheese on top and bake for 18-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the mushrooms are cooked.
- 3 tablespoons Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted salted butter
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
do you use breakfast sausage?
Hi Penny, you could use breakfast sausage or another Italian sausage that you enjoy.
I Recipes look fantastic
I’m wondering what kind of sausage you used for this recipe. There are so many varieties that it would be helpful to know which one you selected.
Hi Judy, this recipe was made with ground pork sausage. Let us know how they turn out if you decide to make them!