Mushrooms stuffed with heaps of cheese and sausage are baked until golden and bubbly.
They’re great for a crowd and can be made well ahead of time. Savory and cheesy everyone loves these stuffed mushrooms!
Best Mushrooms for Stuffing
Serve stuffed mushrooms as a hearty main course or a snack!
- White mushrooms or cremini mushrooms are uniformly smaller and hold about two to three teaspoons of filling – perfect for a party appetizer!
- Stuffed portobello mushrooms are large, meaty, and delicious. Enough to become an entrée or side dish all their own!
How To Clean Mushrooms
The best way to clean mushrooms is to ensure they don’t soak. They are porous and will absorb water easily which will make the final product a bit soggy.
It’s best if you don’t try to wash them in water, simply brush off any dirt with a vegetable brush or a damp paper towel. If you do wash them with water, just give them a quick rinse and then dry them with a paper towel.
To scoop out the center, bend the stem to snap it out and use a small spoon, a melon baller or a tomato corer to create a well in the center.
How To Make Stuffed Mushrooms
Once the mushrooms are cleaned and the stems removed it is time to get started on the filling.
- Sautee the diced stems, onion, sausage and garlic in a pan (per recipe below).
- Combine the cream cheese, the mixed cheeses (reserve some for topping), and the sausage mixture in a bowl.
- Fill mushroom caps, sprinkle with cheese and bake until melted and cooked through.
There are so many ways to change up these delicious stuffed mushrooms. Try adding any of these yummy mix-ins below!
- Veggies: roasted red bell peppers, sundried tomatoes, diced jalapenos
- Meat/Seafood: crab, clams, bacon, ham, shrimp
- Starches: cooked quinoa, cooked couscous, garlic roasted mashed potatoes
And ALL kinds of cheeses can be used!
Make and fill these mushrooms up to 48 hours in advance. Cover in plastic wrap and store in the fridge. Bake as directed.
Stuffed mushrooms can be frozen before cooking. They may produce a little bit more liquid and the texture may change slightly but they’ll still be great.
Can You Freeze Stuffed Mushrooms?
To freeze, prepare as if baking them but freeze in a single layer instead. Once frozen, put in a zippered bag with the date on it. They will keep about 3 months.
To reheat, simply thaw at room temperature and bake according to the recipe instructions.
Yummy Stuffed Mushroom Recipes
- Easy Stuffed Mushrooms – 2 ingredient filling
- Cheeseburger Stuffed Mushrooms
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms – ultimate appetizer!
- Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms – ready in 25 mins
- Bacon Mozza Stuffed Mushrooms
Did you make these Stuffed Mushrooms? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 24 mushrooms or 48 small mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ pound sausage (optional)
- 2 tablespoons onion minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese divided
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Clean mushrooms and remove stems. Using a small spoon, scrape out the middle of the mushroom to make room for filling.
- Finely dice stems and place stems, onion, sausage and garlic in a small pan. Cook until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Mix cheddar and parmesan cheese and reserve ¼ cup for topping.
- Combine cream cheese, cheese mixture, and cooled sausage in a small bowl. Fill each mushroom cap with the cream cheese filling.
- Top with reserved cheese and bake 18-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and mushrooms are cooked