Perfect for chilly nights or lazy afternoons, chicken vegetable soup is fresh and flavorful.
This healthy and hearty soup recipe is chock-full of veggies and flavor and comes together quickly.
Classic Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe
Of all the classic soup recipes, nothing beats a chicken & vegetable soup! Perfect for rainy days, sick days, or any day, this soup goes great with homemade garlic bread and maybe a side of creamy cucumber salad to round out a perfect dinner.
This is one of those recipes that never fails to please, even to the pickiest eater!
Ingredients & Variations
Chicken & vegetable soup is not only the best soup recipe to have in your recipe box, but it is also super versatile!
- Toss in leftover veggies like broccoli, carrots, onions (or peas, green beans, corn).
- Feel free to add in some rice, egg noodles, or even leftover biscuits on the top just like dumplings!
- In place of chicken, try substitute ground beef, sausage, or even mini meatballs?
- Bacon bits go great for a little extra flavor without so much meat.
How to Make Chicken Vegetable Soup
The best way to make chicken vegetable soup is to start with fresh ingredients.
- Saute the onions & potatoes (per recipe below).
- Add the broth, tomatoes, and seasonings. Simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Add veggies and chicken. Simmer until heated.
Season with salt and pepper before serving and enjoy this hearty and delicious soup!
Tips for Success
- Add your favorite seasonings. If you have fresh herbs (parsley or basil), stir them in just before serving.
- As this recipe uses cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works well in this recipe) add the chicken near the end so it doesn’t overcook.
- If using fresh vegetables in place of frozen, add them along with the broth so they have time to cook through.
You can keep leftover soup in the fridge for 3-4 days if properly stored. To add more shelf life, freeze the remainder in an airtight container or zippered bag labeled with a date. Simply thaw and reheat to enjoy your delicious soup again!
More Savory Soup Ideas
- Classic Chicken Noodle Soup – easy to make from scratch!
- Beef Stroganoff Soup – a flavorful broth
- Italian Bean Soup – quick & simple
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup – cheesy and oh-so-easy!
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup – perfect for making ahead
- Vegetable Barley Soup – hearty & healthy
- Sausage & Kale Soup – budget-friendly
Did you enjoy this Chicken Vegetable Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 14 ½ ounces can diced tomatoes with juices
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables defrosted
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley chopped
- Cook onion in butter over medium heat until it starts to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook an additional 3-4 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute more.
- Add broth, tomatoes and seasonings. Simmer 12 minutes or until potatoes are softened.
- Stir in vegetables and chicken. Simmer 5 minutes more.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Recipe slightly adapted from Hamburger Soup.
At 272 calories per serving what is the size of a serving?
A serving will be 1/4 of the recipe which is approximately 2 to 2 1/2 cups. Enjoy Tom!
This is an amazing soup! My family absolutely loved it! Thanks for so many excellent recipes. Your site is my “go to” whenever I need a great recipe!!
So happy to hear that Darla! You’re very welcome!
Why is there flour in this soup? Just curious.
Hi Beth, the flour helps to thicken the soup slightly. You can omit it or substitute it with cornstarch if you prefer. :)
I made this for dinner last night and my wife and son thought it was wonderful. I finished it for dinner tonight and it was even better. The combination of flavors was perfect. Plan to use many of your incredible recipes. Oh, by the way I was born in Taber, Alberta but lived in Utah since age eight. Thanks for these inspirational recipes. THEY ARE PERFECT.
Thank you Philip! You are so welcome!
Quick, easy, and delicious.
So glad you loved it Karen!
Easy hearty recipe, enjoyed making this delicious recipe, added a can of tomato sauce with garlic, basil and oregano.
This recipe was super easy and delicious. Great for leftover veggies. I added some leftover cubed tofu at the end instead of pasta noodles and used 6 cups of broth for more soup.
Does this freeze well?
You bet, Jen! Freeze in an airtight container or zippered bag labeled with a date. Simply thaw and reheat to enjoy your delicious soup again!
I’m signing up because these are excellent recipes
Welcome Ramona! Happy to have you join us :)