Perfect for chilly nights or lazy afternoons, chicken vegetable soup is fresh and flavorful.
This healthy and hearty soup recipe is chock-full of veggies and flavor and comes together quickly.
Classic Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe
Of all the classic soup recipes, nothing beats a chicken & vegetable soup! Perfect for rainy days, sick days, or any day, this soup goes great with homemade garlic bread and maybe a side of creamy cucumber salad to round out a perfect dinner.
This is one of those recipes that never fails to please, even to the pickiest eater!
Ingredients & Variations
Chicken & vegetable soup is not only the best soup recipe to have in your recipe box, but it is also super versatile!
- Toss in leftover veggies like broccoli, carrots, onions (or peas, green beans, corn).
- Feel free to add in some rice, egg noodles, or even leftover biscuits on the top just like dumplings!
- In place of chicken, try substitute ground beef, sausage, or even mini meatballs?
- Bacon bits go great for a little extra flavor without so much meat.
How to Make Chicken Vegetable Soup
The best way to make chicken vegetable soup is to start with fresh ingredients.
- Saute the onions & potatoes (per recipe below).
- Add the broth, tomatoes, and seasonings. Simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Add veggies and chicken. Simmer until heated.
Season with salt and pepper before serving and enjoy this hearty and delicious soup!
Tips for Success
- Add your favorite seasonings. If you have fresh herbs (parsley or basil), stir them in just before serving.
- As this recipe uses cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works well in this recipe) add the chicken near the end so it doesn’t overcook.
- If using fresh vegetables in place of frozen, add them along with the broth so they have time to cook through.
You can keep leftover soup in the fridge for 3-4 days if properly stored. To add more shelf life, freeze the remainder in an airtight container or zippered bag labeled with a date. Simply thaw and reheat to enjoy your delicious soup again!
More Savory Soup Ideas
- Classic Chicken Noodle Soup – easy to make from scratch!
- Beef Stroganoff Soup – a flavorful broth
- Italian Bean Soup – quick & simple
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup – cheesy and oh-so-easy!
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup – perfect for making ahead
- Vegetable Barley Soup – hearty & healthy
Did you enjoy this Chicken Vegetable Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 14 ½ ounces can diced tomatoes with juices
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables defrosted
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley chopped
- Cook onion in butter over medium heat until it starts to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook an additional 3-4 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute more.
- Add broth, tomatoes and seasonings. Simmer 12 minutes or until potatoes are softened.
- Stir in vegetables and chicken. Simmer 5 minutes more.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Recipe slightly adapted from Hamburger Soup.