I can’t think of anything more comforting than creamy Beef Stroganoff Soup. Tender chunks of beef with mushrooms and noodles are made extra-delicious with a rich beefy broth.
Stir up a pot of this filling soup easily on the stovetop or slowly simmer it in the slow cooker.
What’s In Beef Stroganoff Soup?
Beef stroganoff soup combines everything we love most about comfort food (and beef stroganoff of course); a flavorful broth, noodles, tender beef and a rich gravy!
Chuck steak is a cut of beef that benefits from a low and slow cooking to unlock its intense beefy flavors while becoming so tender it can be cut with a spoon. If you don’t have chuck you can use stewing beef.
Stewing beef often comes from various end cuts of meat and, much like when making beef stew, can need extra time to become tender. If your beef is tough, it likely needs more cooking time.
To make on the stovetop:
- Season beef chunks and sear until browned.
- Simmer beef in broth with mushrooms and onions until beef is fork tender.
- Thicken broth with a bit of cornstarch, remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
Once the sour cream has been added be sure it doesn’t come to a boil to prevent the milk solids from solidifying and the broth from becoming grainy or curdled.
To make in the slow cooker: Sear the beef and transfer to a crockpot with mushrooms and onions.
- Add broth and beef and cook on high 4-6 hours or on low 6-8 hours.
- Precook the noodles on the stovetop al dente and drain. Add cornstarch slurry and let thicken 10 minutes.
- Before serving, lower to warm setting and stir in noodles and sour cream.
My Favorite Soup Sides
Beef stroganoff soup is hearty and filling so it doesn’t need a lot of fussy side dishes.
Texas toast, garlic bread or thick slices of sourdough slathered with butter are great to dip and dunk. You could also brush slices of crusty artisanal bread with olive oil, sprinkle with parmesan and savory herbs and lightly toast under the broiler for a little crunchy contrast.
Comforting Soups & Stews
- Beef Barley Soup – so easy & delicious!
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew – comfort food heaven
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup – hearty, healthy meal
- Crock Pot Cabbage Roll Soup – simple twist on a traditional!
- Italian Wedding Soup – ready in 40 mins!
Beef Stroganoff Soup
- 1 onion diced
- 3 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 pound stewing beef trimmed
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms brown or white, sliced
- 6 cups beef broth low sodium
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 1 ½ cups egg noodles
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper and cook until browned. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and cook onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms. Cook 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in wine, broth, Worcestershire sauce, and beef and bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer 45 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Combine cornstarch with 3 tablespoons cold water. Whisk into boiling soup until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and parsley.
- Place egg noodles in the bottom of a bowl. Top with soup and serve.