Soup is the perfect cozy meal on a chilly day.
This hearty Chicken Mushroom Soup is a healthy favorite! Whole chicken breasts are simmered in a flavorful broth with veggies and rice for an easy meal. Once cooked, shred the chicken and add it back to the pot.
It’s the ultimate comfort soup that goes from stovetop to tabletop in minutes!
An Easy Savory Soup
- Everyone loves chicken soup with rice & mushrooms, it’s such a hearty meal!
- Not only is this soup budget-friendly, but it’s also super versatile!
- There is no need to pre-cook the chicken making it extra easy.
- Soup is great for using up any leftover veggies in the fridge.
- This meal is healthy and chock full of flavor.
Ingredients in Chicken Mushroom Soup
SOUP BASE The key to a flavorful soup starts with the soup base. Use boxed chicken broth or make your own Chicken Broth and or boil a whole chicken. Add in some simple seasonings; a dash of poultry seasoning is my secret to making soups taste like they’ve been simmering all day long.
CHICKEN Raw chicken breasts are simmered right in the seasoned broth and then shredded. Not only does this make the soup extra easy, the chicken juices flavor the broth. Fresh or frozen breasts can be used and they should be left whole so they don’t dry out.
VEGETABLES White or brown mushrooms, crimini, baby portobellos, or sliced portobellos will give chicken mushroom soup its savory flavor! Sauteed onions, carrots, and celery help develop the rest of the flavors (this is called a ‘mirepoix’). After that, any combination of veggies will do! Peas, broccoli florets, green beans, and even corn are all colorful and delicious choices.
RICE White rice goes with everything! Brown rice, small macaroni pasta, or barley add extra texture to chicken mushroom soup but take longer to cook.
How to Make Chicken Mushroom Soup
This soup is so warm, comforting, and deliciously filling.
- Saute onions & mushrooms until onion is soft. Add garlic & seasonings.
- Add broth, uncooked chicken, & rice. Simmer per the recipe below.
- Remove the chicken breasts &shred.
- When rice is tender, return the chicken to the soup and stir.
Storing Leftover Soup
Keep leftover chicken mushroom soup in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
Freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 3 months.
More Chicken Soups
- Chicken Noodle Soup – a classic fave
- Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
- Chicken Barley Soup
- Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup – a complete meal in a bowl
Did your family love this Chicken Mushroom Soup? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Chicken and Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 8 ounces brown mushrooms or white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning or ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts
- ½ cup uncooked white rice
- Heat butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Cook and stir until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and seasonings and cook just until fragrant.
- Add broth, uncooked chicken breasts, and rice. Stir and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low (a simmer), cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes.
- After 15 minutes remove chicken from the pot and shred.
- Once the rice is tender, add chicken back to the pot and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
I made this soup almost immediately after coming a cross the recipe. It is delicious! I would not change a thing, and will be making often. Thank you so much for your wonderful recipes!
I am so happy to hear you loved this soup Megan and are enjoying the recipes!