Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is one of my childhood favorites! A rich, flavorful broth and tender chunks of chicken are mixed with loads of fresh vegetables and finished off with egg noodles.
This easy favorite comes together in just minutes for the perfect fresh and healthy weeknight meal. This classic soup is one of Grandma’s home remedies for good reason!
How To Make Chicken Noodle Soup
Tender chicken, fresh vegetables and egg noodles; this the best chicken noodle soup recipe, not only is it full of flavor, it’s ready in just minutes!
While I love making chicken noodle soup in the slow cooker, I also love being able to create a quick and healthy soup in just about 20 minutes.
- For this recipe, you’re going to soften onions, celery and carrots in a pot.
- Add broth and poultry seasoning. The addition of poultry seasoning adds the perfect savory flavor to the broth making it taste like its been simmering all day long!
- Add chicken and noodles and cook until tender. Homemade chicken noodle soup is that easy!
Poultry seasoning is a wonderful combination of flavors that really takes any chicken or turkey recipe to the next level! If you’ve never used it before, it’s perfect to add to soups, stuffings or casseroles! If you don’t have poultry seasoning on hand you can quickly make Homemade Poultry Seasoning and it will last in your cupboard for months!
How Do You Make Chicken Noodle Soup from Scratch?
The base of any good soup is broth, I always try to uses homemade if I can! Whenever I make a whole roasted chicken, I always freeze the carcass to create an amazing homemade chicken stock! If I don’t have chicken carcasses, I simply make Boiled Chicken giving me a rich flavorful broth as well as tender and juicy meat to add to the soup. The flavor of a homemade chicken broth tastes best in this recipe but store bought works if it’s all you have on hand!
I always start with onion/carrot/celery but you can really use any vegetables in this recipe. If you’re using frozen veggies, just cook them for a minute or so longer so they have the chance to cook properly.
When making homemade chicken noodle soup, I most often use leftover chicken (or turkey) that I already have on hand but you can use rotisserie chicken or even quick poached chicken!
What to Serve With Chicken Noodle Soup
This Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup recipe is almost a complete meal on its own. Loaded with fresh vegetables, Egg Noodles and of course juicy chicken.
I like making this soup on busy weeknights because so fast to whip up (and it doesn’t come from a can or takeout box)! It’s also loaded with vegetables and lean protein making it a healthy choice. The goodness of this easy Homemade Chicken noodle soup warms you from the inside out!
Chicken noodle soup can be kept in the fridge for a few days. For those of you asking, yes, you can freeze chicken noodle soup. If you are freezing some of it, just leave out the egg noodles and add them when you reheat your soup!
More Chicken Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- Chicken Stew – Hearty and comforting!
- Chicken Rice Soup
- Easy Chicken Taco Soup
- Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings – From scratch recipe
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup (no cream)
- Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup – Family favorite
A hearty chicken noodle soup recipe. Juicy chicken, tender egg noodles and fresh vegetables all simmered in a flavorful chicken broth.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 large celery ribs sliced
- 1 red pepper finely diced
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 6 cups chicken broth I prefer homemade
- 6 oz . egg noodles
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh parsley
Heat olive oil in a pot over medium high heat.
Chop the onion and add to the pot. Continue adding veggies to the pot in order as you chop them except broccoli.
Cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in seasoning, broth and chicken. Bring to a boil, add noodles reduce heat to medium-high and cook until noodles are tender. Add in broccoli during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
Stir in parsley and remove bay leaf before serving.
If you prefer more broth you can add 8 cups.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Is Chicken Noodle Soup Good For You?
The short answer: Yes, there’s a reason a good ol’ bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup is a go to when you’re feeling under the weather!!
- The steam from a hot bowl of chicken noodle soup is a great decongestant
- The sodium found in the soup will help your body retain water while you rehydrate
- Eating chicken noodle soup will help increase your micronutrient intake.
- Chicken noodle soup contains Selenium, which helps to fight common cold symptoms!
Turns out grandma wasn’t wrong!