Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks are a tasty snack that can be prepared and stored in the freezer! Any time you want a snack, just pop a few into the air fryer.
Why buy the pre-packaged, frozen version of mozzarella sticks when you can make your own homemade recipe in the air fryer in minutes?
Homemade Mozza Sticks
- We love mozza sticks because they are crispy on the outside and melty inside.
- These are easy to make with string cheese and a handful of pantry ingredients.
- They’re prepped ahead of time and stored in the freezer for a great snack anytime.
- Add your favorite dipes from marinara sauce to homemade ranch dressing.
New to Air Frying? Check out our favorite Air Fryer here.
Find everything air fryer here including our best tips, tricks, and recipes.
View all Air Fryer Recipes here.
No Air Fryer? No Problem! Use this Cheese Sticks recipe to bake them in the oven or deep fry them.
MOZZARELLA STRING CHEESE We love the way string cheese melts and it’s just the right size for a bite. Swap out Mozza for your fave string cheese flavor including cheddar.
EGGS are used to make the breadcrumbs stick to the string cheese.
SEASONING Garlic powder, salt & pepper are all you need.
BREADCRUMBS We use a combination of seasoned breadcrumbs (for flavor) and Panko (for crunch).
How to Cook Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
Mozzarella sticks made from scratch.
- Combine breadcrumbs, oil, garlic, and salt & pepper to taste (per recipe below).
- Dip each mozzarella stick into whisked egg, then flour. Dip back into the egg, & finally into the bread crumb mixture.
- Freeze prepared sticks for at least 30 minutes.
- Spritz mozzarella sticks with oil. Place in a single layer air fry until crispy.
FROZEN MOZZARELLA STICKS
This recipe is for homemade mozzarella sticks and they are frozen before cooking so cook time is the same.
- Freezing them first allows the crumbs to crisp up without the cheese melting out.
- Be sure to preheat the air fryer and keep in mind that air fryers (and brands of mozzarella sticks) can vary.
- Check them early at about 4 minutes. Once you see cheese starting to bubble out, they’re ready.
Purchased frozen mozzarella sticks will cook for about 5-7 minutes at 390°F.
How to Store
- Keep air-fried mozzarella sticks in a covered container for about 3 days in the refrigerator. Reheat in the air fryer for about 3 minutes to re-crisp them.
- Breaded, uncooked mozzarella sticks can be frozen for up to 6 months. They should go straight from the freezer to the air fryer without thawing!
Air Fryer Appetizers
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings – extra crispy skin
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges – perfect for dipping
- Crispy Air Fryer Dill Pickles – ready in 30 minutes
- Everything Air Fryer Wings – so flavorful
- Air Fryer Taquitos – easy & cheesy
Did you make these Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- 8 mozzarella string cheese
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut mozzarella sticks in half.
- Whisk eggs with 1 tablespoon water. In a separate bowl combine bread crumbs, Panko bread crumbs, vegetable oil, and garlic powder. Place flour in a 3rd bowl and season with salt & pepper.
- Dip each mozzarella stick into the eggs and then into the flour mixture. Dip back into the eggs and finally into the bread crumb mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet and freeze at least 30 minutes (or up to 2 months).
- Preheat air fryer to 390°F.
- Generously spray mozzarella sticks with oil or cooking spray. Place in the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for 5-7 minutes or until crisp.
- Serve immediately.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Recipe Adapted from this recipe originally posted in 2013.