This Caramel Chocolate trifle is not only one of the easiest desserts to put together, it is definitely one of the tastiest too!
Pretty layers of chocolate cake, caramel and whipped topping are a definite crowd pleaser. While you can use store bought caramel and chocolate sauces, it is definitely worth the extra effort to make your own:
You can make the cake ahead of time and store it in the freezer making this quick and easy to put together when you’re ready!
Caramel Chocolate Trifle
- 1 box chocolate cake mix plus ingredients required to make cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
CHOCOLATE PUDDING LAYER
- 2 (4 servings size) chocolate pudding mix & 4 cups milk
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 4 1/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (12oz) container frozen whipped topping (such as Cool Whip)
- 1 cup caramel sauce (homemade is best)
- 1 cup fudge sauce (homemade is best)
- Preheat oven to 350F. If using a box mix, bake cake according to package directions in a 9x13 pan.
- For homemade cake, grease and flour a 9x13 pan.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla to dry mixture and mix with an electric mixer on medium for about 2 minutes. Gently mix in boiling water. Note: Your batter will seem thin, it's ok.. it's supposed to!
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 35-40 minute. Cool completely.
CHOCOLATE PUDDING LAYER
- Mix both boxes of pudding mix with 4 cups milk according to package directions.
- OR for homemade pudding, combine sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan, mix well. Add in cold milk, stir until combined.
- Turn heat onto medium high stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil.
- Allow to boil for 1 minute while stirring, remove from heat and stir in butter. Cool completely stirring occasionally to avoid a skin forming.
- Cut cake into small cubes. Reserve 1 cup of whipped topping for garnish.
- In a trifle dish, layer 1/2 of the cake, 1/2 of the fudge sauce, 1/2 of the whipped topping, 1/2 of the caramel, 1/2 of the pudding. Repeat layers.
- Top with reserved whipped topping. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)