These Strawberry Shortcake Cups are a fun no-bake treat bursting with red berries, cake, and layers of whipped cream or strawberry mousse!
When the strawberry season comes around, it’s time to look for fun and sweet recipes like a strawberry shortcake in a cup. Sweet, smooth, and cakey, there is so much to love about this dessert!
Strawberry Shortcake Cups
- Bright, sweet, and red berries are the summertime food to buy. There is no better way to use them than in sweet summer desserts.
- This make-ahead recipe is perfect for summer when it is just too hot to turn the oven on.
- Use purchased pound cake or angel food cake to turn these into a no bake treat.
- These can be made as mini individual cups or in a large dish. Both are great options for the next party, bridal, or baby shower.
Ingredients in Strawberry Shortcake Cups
This recipe varies a little bit from our favorite strawberry shortcake recipe but it’s every bit as delicious!
CAKE: Make a homemade pound cake or angel food cake and cube it or buy a pre-made cake. They can be found in the bakery or freezer section, just let them sit out for 10 minutes before cubing if frozen.
STRAWBERRIES: This is one of those decadent recipes for using up that strawberry harvest. Frozen strawberries can also be used, just remember to let the berries thaw. Toss some of the berries with sugar and let them rest a bit to make them sweet, syrupy, and saucy.
CREAM: Heavy cream is whipped up with pudding mix and confectioners’ sugar for a creamy layer.
VARIATIONS: If time allows, make a batch of strawberry mousse or strawberry buttercream to add some extra goodness to this dessert.
Use any berries you have on hand! Blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries will all taste great.
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake Cups
- Slice strawberries and toss with sugar. Let rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare the strawberry mousse layer (if using).
- Dice the cake and whip the heavy cream.
- Layer the ingredients in a cup: cake, then strawberries, then mousse, and whipped cream (as per the recipe below).
- Chill and enjoy.
PRO TIP: Serve these in wine glasses or small liqueur glasses for an elegant presentation. For a more rustic look, cut the pound cake in circles and stack in mason jars. If this is to be served at a kids’ party or picnic, choose plastic clear glasses.
To Make Ahead
The individual ingredients can be made ahead of time. We prefer to assemble the day of serving, a few hours before.
Storing Leftover Shortcake Cups
These cups will keep in the refrigerator for 2 days. The pound cake will absorb some of the strawberry juice and lose some of its consistency, but it will still taste delicious! Pipe some extra whipped cream on top for serving.
To freeze, wrap them in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer bag. They will keep for 2-3 months.
More Strawberry Favorites
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Strawberry Poke Cake
- Strawberry Milk No Bake Cookies
- Strawberry Mousse Cups
- Strawberry Crisp
- Strawberry Crepes
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
Did you make these Strawberry Shortcake Cups? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Strawberry Shortcake Cups
- 1 quart strawberries sliced, about 1 ½ lbs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces frozen pound cake or angel food cake, about half of a cake, thawed and diced
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- whipped cream
- Toss the strawberries with granulated sugar in a bowl and let sit at room temperature at least 30 minutes.
- Combine the heavy cream and powdered sugar in a large chilled bowl. Mix with a hand mixer on medium-low for 1 minute. Turn up to medium-high and continue mixing until thick and creamy.
- Assemble the cups by layering cubes of cake, followed by a layer of strawberries, followed by whipped cream (and mousse if using).
- Repeat the layers and top with whipped cream, a strawberry, and sprinkles if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
This is perfect for my sweet tooth. Saving it.
These are so beautifully presented. I bet they would go down really well at a dinner party.
Perfect for a dinner party, especially since they can be made ahead of time!
These trifles look so lovely! I still can’t get enough of strawberries this year!
I agree, strawberries are definitely at the top of my “favorites” list!
What a perfect season for strawberry themed dessert!
I agree, I can’t get enough strawberries this year!
I love strawberries! Would go great with a coconut cream-based strawberry whip!
The coconut cream whip would be amazing!
This trifle is so pretty – and it looks really easy! What a great way to use strawberries!
I agree Diana! Strawberries are such a pretty fruit!