Chocolate Caramel Cake is a delicious poke cake recipe that is ultra moist and delicious & fully loaded with caramel!
A decadent cake soaks up caramel for a moist and rich dessert that everyone goes crazy for!
You know how you have those few recipes you’re known for. The recipes and dishes that people always expect you to bring to events… *this* Chocolate Caramel Cake (along with my famous Carrot Cake) is the cake I’m known for. I am ALWAYS asked to bring this poke cake and it always gets rave reviews!
It has been known in our family as Divorce Cake for years… the first time I made it, my husband loved it so much that he ate the WHOLE cake! He then told me if I made it again he’d have to leave me… and “Divorce Cake” was born! Our friends have called it divorce cake for as long as I can remember and even though I always make it… he’s still here (I think he stays for the cake).
What is a Poke Cake?
If you’ve never had a poke cake before, this will rock your world! A poke cake is exactly what it sounds like.. a fluffy cake poked all over and usually topped with a sauce like caramel or chocolate. I have a killer Chocolate Poke Cake From Scratch that I top with a homemade pudding mixture. Any kind of cake works and I even make a colorful Red White and Blue Poke Cake for the holidays but I do think this Caramel Chocolate Cake is my fave!
The caramel chocolate cake starts with a cake baked to tender perfection and while still warm, like a typical poke cake, I poke holes all over the top. The cake is then topped with caramel sauce and sweetened condensed milk which will seep into the holes and make it insanely moist.
I make this cake using a from-scratch cake mix but you can also use a boxed cake mix to save time if you’d like!
The whole cake is then cooled and topped with whipped topping (or freshly whipped cream) and drizzled with more caramel and chocolate. I love to add shavings of chocolate and even Heath Bits to decorate it.
One thing I love about this cake is that it’s better if it sits overnight. That means it’s easy to make ahead of time and perfect for potlucks, parties, and dinners.
Chocolate Caramel Cake
- 1 9 x13 chocolate cake either boxed or homemade recipe below
- 1 can sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 cup Caramel Ice Cream Topping or homemade
- 8 ounces whipped topping or 2-3 cups whipped cream
- chocolate sauce & chopped chocolate for garnish
HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CAKE (OPTIONAL)
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brewed coffee cooled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cake (if using a box mix, follow the directions for a 9×13 pan)
HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CAKE
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease & flour a 9×13 inch pan.
- Combine milk & lemon juice and set aside. (The mixture will thicken slightly)
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda & baking powder in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, coffee, soured milk, oil and vanilla. Beat medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pans. (Your batter may seem runny at this point but it will bake up beautifully.)
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Be sure to check the cake at 30 minutes so it doesn’t over cook.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool 15 minutes.
- Poke holes all over the entire cake using the end of a wooden spoon. Pour the sweetened condensed milk and ¾ of the caramel sauce over the cake allowing it to seep into the holes.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight (minimum 4 hours, longer is better)
- Top with whipped topping, remaining caramel sauce, chocolate sauce and chopped chocolate.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Recipes You’ll Love