Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake has to be one of the most decadent, delicious and easy cakes I have ever made! Simply combine all ingredients together, pour into a pan and bake. That is it! You will never want to use a prepared cake mix again once you try this recipe!
I’m definitely not a cake snob, I’m happy to use a boxed cake mix in a pinch (or even to doctor them up like in my favorite Chocolate Banana Cake). But seriously, this Mayonnaise Cake makes even boxed cake mixes seem like work! Mix ingredients together, pour into a pan, bake…done!
If you believe you are not a baker at heart, you’ll love this Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake recipe because it’s so easy – even you can bake it perfectly!
Don’t let the idea of mayonnaise in a cake scare you away. Mayonnaise is basically made of oil and eggs which are in pretty much every cake recipe and it truly makes this cake moist and decadent.
TIPS FOR A PERFECT CAKE
- Using full fat mayonnaise produces the best results. Light versions work but it will change the texture of the cake and make it chewier.
- Don’t overmix the batter. It may appear slightly lumpy but that is ok.
- Use room temperature eggs. If your eggs are cold, place them in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes. There are no eggs in this recipe but a great tip when baking cakes in general!
- When measuring flour it’s important to remember not to scoop it into the measuring cup directly from your flour container (this packs it down and measures too much flour). Simply spoon the flour into your dry measuring cup and level the excess off with a straight edge.
- Do not over bake your cake. Check it by inserting a toothpick into the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is good.
I can remember being a teenager and my friend’s mom made a mayonnaise cake. I have to admit that 3o years later, I still remember that moist tender cake and how amazing it was! When I got my hands on a pile of vintage recipe books and saw this recipe again, I knew I had to make it. There is a good reason this old fashioned mayonnaise cake recipe has been around for so long!
You can use any kind of frosting on this cake including my One Minute Easy Chocolate Frosting or my favorite Chocolate Ganache Frosting. This Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake is so wonderfully simple and unbelievably delicious that your friends will be asking for the recipe!
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup creamy salad dressing Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
- 1 cup water lukewarm
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Mix together all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)