I was never a huge fan of fresh mozzarella… until I visited Italy. Rich fresh olive oils, fresh mozzarella, ripe tomatoes on garlicky toasted bread… This recipe is a trip down memory lane for me.
This takes under 10 minutes to put together and is always a huge hit! Can’t wait for my garden tomatoes to grow because that just makes this recipe even better!
It’s a terrific option for a healthy lunch or snack.
- 1 large baguette or Italian bread sliced into 1 inch thick slices
- 2 large ripe tomatoes chopped
- 4 medium balls fresh mozzarella (about 7oz total), sliced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 10 medium basil leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 large clove fresh garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- In a bowl, mix together the tomatoes, basil, parsley, mozzarella, olive oil, red wine vinegar & a dash of salt & pepper. Allow to sit at room temperature while you prepare the bread.
- Place bread slices under broiler for about a minute or in an oven at 350 for about 3 minutes, or until the bread is very lightly toasted.
- Immediately after removing bread from oven, rub the garlic clove over each slice.
- Top the bread slices with 1/4 cup of the tomato and mozzarella mixture.
- Sprinkle with shredded Italian cheeses.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)