Cauliflower tots are a delish alternative to regular tater tots and they’re packed with bacon-y, cheesy, veggie-filled goodness.
These are one of our fave side dishes and make for a great snack too!
Sides We Love
If you’re looking for some great side dish inspiration, you will LOVE The Ultimate Guide to Vegetable Side Dishes by Rebecca Lindamood. This book is packed with over 100 side dish recipes! You might recognize Rebecca’s famous melting sweet potatoes recipe (MUST try) or the best ever candied jalapenos, and this collection will just add to your favorites!
This book has…
- Easy to follow recipes with ingredients I usually have on hand (plus some new ingredients when I want to change it up)
- Sorted by veggie for easy inspiration based on what is in your fridge
- Hard to find recipes for veggies (too many radishes or green onions? Got leftover broccoli stems? Rebecca has recipes for those)!
- Classics like pea salad and green beans & bacon but new twists on old favorites too (like Korean smashed potatoes)!
This book is jam-packed with lots of inspiration, ideas, and tips along with gorgeous photos. It’s a staple in my kitchen already.
I knew we’d love this recipe since we love homemade tater tots so much!
CAULIFLOWER RICE Cauliflower is used in these tots. Rice your own or to make it quick, buy frozen riced cauliflower.
CORNMEAL & EGG Cornmeal and eggs help bind these little bites and the cornmeal adds crispiness and flavor.
FLAVOR Sharp cheddar cheese, bacon bits, need we say more? Yum!
How to Make Cauliflower Tots
Cauliflower tots are a fun and tasty treat, perfect for game night or a great side next to chicken nuggets!
- Make cauliflower rice according to recipe instructions. Squeeze very dry (I do this in a tea towel).
- After the draining step, add remaining ingredients, combine thoroughly.
- Using a small cookie scoop (or measuring spoon) scoop onto a baking sheet.
- Bake tots until golden brown on the top and dark brown on the bottom.
To Air Fry
Place tots in a single layer in the air fryer basket (cook in batches if needed). Air fry for 6 minutes flip them over, & cook another 6 minutes.
- Kept leftover cauliflower tots in an airtight container in the refrigerator and they will last up to 3 days. Re-crisp them in a toaster oven, air fryer or under the broiler.
- Tots can be frozen in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 2 months.
Cauliflower tots are made for dipping and dunking!
- Avocado Dip – healthy & flavorful
- Sour Cream Dip – great for game day
- Homemade Ranch Dressing – just chill & serve
- Beer Cheese Dip – quick to make
- Easy Marinara Sauce – a reader fave
- Honey Mustard Sauce – only 4 ingredients
Did you love these Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Tots? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Tots
- 2 pounds cauliflower florets
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded (approx 2 cups)
- 12 bacon strips cooked and crumbled
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Using a grater, grate the florets until they are the size of cooked rice grains. Put the cauliflower into a bowl that is lined with a clean kitchen towel.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt over the cauliflower and let it sit at room temperature for 5 minutes. Fold the towel ends over the top of the bowl and microwave it for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and unfold the towel letting it cool down until it is comfortable to handle. Once cool, gather up the towel ends and twist while squeezing the cooked cauliflower to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line two half-sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Empty any liquid that remains in the bowl and add the cooked cauliflower into it, add the remaining ingredients and stir vigorously until fully combined.
- Use a small cookie scoop to portion the mixture and place 1 ½ inches apart on the prepared pan to allow room for spreading. Gently pat the tots to flatten slightly.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top with a dark brown on the bottom.
- Let the tots stand for 2 minutes on the pan before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.