Beer Cheese Dip is an easy cheesy appetizer that is perfect for game day or when hosting friends.
A combination of your favorite beer, a variety of cheeses, and delicious seasonings this recipe is a welcome addition to any appetizer spread! Serve with pretzel bites, tortilla chips or even veggies!
Best Beer for Cheese Dip
What kind of beer do you like best? Then that is the beer you should use!
- Dark Beers like stouts, and malts will produce deep and bitter flavor.
- Light Beers like ales and IPA’s will give a lighter kind of flavor (this is my personal preference).
- Non-Alcoholic beers work just fine in this recipe too!
Consider what you are serving with the dip and choose the flavor from there! The darker beers are best with pretzels, pretzel sticks, tortilla chips, and bread. For the lighter-flavored version, use carrot sticks, broccoli and cauliflower florets or zucchini rounds.
Cheeses for This Dip
I use a combination of sharp cheddar, gruyere and mozzarella. The cheddar/gruyere add flavor while the mozzarella adds a creamy texture.
Any cheese will do but keep in mind a milder cheese will have a milder flavor (and won’t pair well with a really bold dark beer).
How to Make Beer Cheese Dip
This cheesy appetizer is as easy as 1, 2, 3 and will probably be enjoyed just as quickly! This starts with a roux (butter and flour mixed) to make a thick sauce.
- Melt butter, seasonings, and flour. Cook 1 minute.
- Pour in the beer and milk a little at a time whisking after each addition. It will seem thick and almost pasty at first but will smooth out nicely.
- Once thick and bubbly, add the cheeses and stir until melted.
Tip: Shred your own cheese from a block. Pre-shredded cheeses have additives that keeps it from sticking in the bag so it may not melt nicely.
What to Serve with Beer Cheese Dip
- Bread: pretzels or pretzel sticks, tortilla chips, chunks of French or sourdough bread, soft breadsticks, and garlic crostini rounds.
- Veggies: celery sticks, broccoli florets, cauliflower florets, zucchini rounds, bell pepper strips, whole mushrooms, and whole (cooked) baby red potatoes.
- Fruits: sliced green apples, pears, and grapes.
How to Make Ahead
Beer Cheese Dip is super easy to make ahead! All you need to do is cool it and keep it covered in the refrigerator until you’re ready to reheat it!
- To Reheat: Give it a strong stir, (add a little milk if needed) and heat over low on the stove!
As with most recipes containing a lot of dairy, beer cheese dip does not freeze well.
- Jalapeno Popper Dip – rich and creamy dip
- Cheesy Hot Crab Dip – great hot appetizer!
- Hot Bacon Cheddar Dip – loaded with flavor
- Easy Cheese Dip – 5 minutes to make
- Buffalo Chicken Dip – best party snacks!
- Cream Cheese Dip – quick & easy dip!
Beer Cheese Dip
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup beer
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 cup sharp cheddar shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup gruyere or swiss cheese, shredded
- Melt butter, flour, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper over medium heat in a saucepan. Cook 1 minute.
- Stir in beer and milk a bit at a time whisking until smooth after each addition. Continue cooking over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Reduce heat to low, add cheeses and stir just until melted and smooth.
- Serve warm with vegetables, tortilla chips or soft pretzels.