We love all things taco flavored from an easy taco dip to our favorite taco soup! Take this easy taco lasagna to a potluck or an office luncheon! Make it even easier by assembling and baking it earlier! Just reheat it when you reach your destination!
How to Layer Lasagna
For this taco lasagna (made with noodles), start with the tomato sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish. This keeps the noodles from sticking to the bottom of the pan and makes the portions come out easier!
The standard layering technique is sauce, noodles, sauce, noodles, cheese, noodles, sauce. Just remember to put a layer of noodles between each cheese and sauce layer to keep everything in place!
How to Make Taco Lasagna
Once you have all the mixtures prepped, layering this taco lasagna dish is a breeze!
- Beef Mixture: Brown ground beef, onion, and garlic in a large skillet.
- Drain the fat and stir in the taco seasoning (or use homemade taco seasoning) and water. Cook until is evaporated and sauce is thickened.
- Add the beans and veggies and cook the sauce mixture until heated thoroughly set it aside.
- Cheese Mixture: In a small bowl, combine the cottage cheese, sour cream and egg. Set aside.
- Layering: In a 9×13 inch pan, layer the ingredients ending with sauce!
- Bake: Cover the taco lasagna, bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle with remaining cheeses and bake until cheese is browned and bubbly.
Allow the casserole to rest about 10 to 15 minutes so it has a chance to set. Top with sour cream, tomatoes, sliced black olives, sliced green onions or jalapeños!
What to Serve with Lasagna
Just like a traditional Italian lasagna, this cheesy taco lasagna lends itself to simple sides like a crunchy tossed salad, a tray of fresh cut veggies with Buttermilk Ranch Dip, or even some tortilla chips for scooping!
More Mexican Inspired Dishes You’ll Love
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas – personal favorite!
- Shrimp Tacos – fast weeknight meal
- Beef Enchilada Casserole – classic Mexican flavors.
- Easy Taco Salad – crispy, crunchy and flavorful!
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers – scrumptious southwestern spin!
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese divided
- 2 cups cheddar cheese divided
- 9 lasagna noodles cooked and cooled
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 packages taco seasoning low sodium or homemade
- 1 green bell pepper finely diced
- 28 oz low sodium diced canned tomatoes undrained
- 1 cup corn
- 15 oz black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large pan, brown ground beef, onion and garlic. Drain any fat. Stir in taco seasoning and 1 cup water. Cook until water is evaporated.
- Add green pepper, undrained tomatoes, corn, and black beans. Let simmer 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese, sour cream, cumin and egg. Set aside.
- In a 9x13 pan, layer in the following order: 1 cup of sauce, 3 lasagna noodles, ½ of remaining sauce, 3 lasagna noodles, cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup of each cheddar and mozzarella, 3 lasagna noodles, remaining sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes. Remove foil, add remaining cheeses and bake an additional 15 minutes or until cheese browned and bubbly.
- Let rest 10-15 minutes before cutting. Serve with desired toppings such as sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, green onions and cilantro.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)