This Sticky Chicken Drumsticks recipe bridges that gap between budget-friendly and family-pleasing. It’s SO easy to prepare with just a handful of ingredients that smother chicken drumsticks in a bbq glaze.
These drumsticks are then baked until golden brown with a zesty sticky-crisp outer crust and a moist and juicy interior perfect alongside Baked Mac and Cheese.
How to Make Chicken Drumsticks
Best of all, the sauce ingredients for this recipe are so simple; honey, barbecue sauce, garlic, and mustard. You probably already have most of them in your pantry. The glaze in this recipe is equally appropriate for baked wings or drumettes too.
To Make Chicken Drumsticks:
- Mix the sauce ingredients (per recipe below).
- Brush or coat the drumsticks with the sticky sauce.
- Bake until golden brown, reapplying the sauce halfway through. Broil if desired.
- BBQ Sauce: Use any kind or any brand. If you don’t have any, it’s pretty easy to make homemade bbq sauce.
- Honey: If you don’t have honey, you can substitute 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- Garlic: No fresh garlic at hand? Use garlic powder instead. Approximately 1/2 teaspoon of powder will serve the purpose since 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder is equivalent to one medium minced garlic clove.
How Long to Bake Chicken Drumsticks
Allow for approximately 45 minutes of cooking time in the oven. You may need a bit more or less. When it comes to cooking poultry, a meat thermometer is always your best friend. The poultry safe temperature is 165°F at the center, be careful not to touch a bone when taking the temperature.
Don’t have a meat thermometer? Test for doneness by cutting into the flesh with a fork and look for three things to tell if your drumsticks are ready:
- If the juices run clear
- If the meat easily separates from the bone with a fork
- If there is no pink anywhere.
What to Serve with Chicken Drumsticks
A drumstick dinner is a casual family fare where simple hearty side dishes will complement the robust flavors of sticky baked drumsticks.
Now that’s good eatin’!
Finger-Lickin’ Chicken Recipes
- Sticky Hot Chicken Wings – perfect amount of heat!
- Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Thighs – succulent & juicy every time
- Ginger Honey Garlic Chicken Tenders – with a spicy ginger sauce!
- Sweet and Sour Chicken – 30-minute meal!
- Crock Pot Chicken Thighs – cooked in a sweet & spicy sauce
Sticky Chicken Drumsticks
- 3 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup honey or brow sugar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
Brush chicken with sauce and place on a parchment-lined pan. Bake 20 minutes.
Brush with more sauce, turning chicken to coat well and bake an additional 20-25 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°F and sauce is sticky.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)