This Sticky Chicken Drumsticks recipe bridges that gap between budget-friendly and family-pleasing. It’s SO easy to prepare with just a handful of ingredients that smother chicken drumsticks in a bbq glaze.
These drumsticks are then baked until golden brown with a zesty sticky-crisp outer crust and a moist and juicy interior perfect alongside Baked Mac and Cheese.
How to Make Chicken Drumsticks
Big family packs of drumsticks are perfect for sticky chicken drumsticks, Cuban mojo chicken, or delicious breaded oven-fried chicken, forks are always optional! Just dig in!
Best of all, the sauce ingredients for this recipe are so simple; honey, barbecue sauce, garlic, and mustard. You probably already have most of them in your pantry. The glaze in this recipe is equally appropriate for baked wings or drumettes too.
To Make Chicken Drumsticks:
- Mix the sauce ingredients (per recipe below).
- Brush or coat the drumsticks with the sticky sauce.
- Bake until golden brown, reapplying the sauce halfway through. Broil if desired.
These sticky chicken drumsticks are so versatile, they can be served with almost anything! We love pairing with an easy tossed salad and a side of brown rice.
- BBQ Sauce: Use any kind or any brand. If you don’t have any, it’s pretty easy to make homemade bbq sauce.
- Honey: If you don’t have honey, you can substitute 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- Garlic: No fresh garlic at hand? Use garlic powder instead. Approximately 1/2 teaspoon of powder will serve the purpose since 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder is equivalent to one medium minced garlic clove.
How Long to Bake Chicken Drumsticks
Allow for approximately 45 minutes of cooking time in the oven. You may need a bit more or less. When it comes to cooking poultry, a meat thermometer is always your best friend. The poultry safe temperature is 165°F at the center, be careful not to touch a bone when taking the temperature.
Don’t have a meat thermometer? Test for doneness by cutting into the flesh with a fork and look for three things to tell if your drumsticks are ready:
- If the juices run clear
- If the meat easily separates from the bone with a fork
- If there is no pink anywhere.
What to Serve with Chicken Drumsticks
A drumstick dinner is a casual family fare where simple hearty side dishes will complement the robust flavors of sticky baked drumsticks.
Try serving with creamy coleslaw, baked beans with bacon, or creamy garlic mashed potatoes. Pull apart garlic bread or cheesy biscuits will taste fabulous with chicken drumsticks.
Now that’s good eatin’!
Finger-Lickin’ Chicken Recipes
- Sticky Hot Chicken Wings – perfect amount of heat!
- Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Thighs – succulent & juicy every time
- Ginger Honey Garlic Chicken Tenders – with a spicy ginger sauce!
- Sweet and Sour Chicken – 30-minute meal!
- Crock Pot Chicken Thighs – cooked in a sweet & spicy sauce
Sticky Chicken Drumsticks
- 3 pounds chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup honey or brow sugar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Brush chicken with sauce and place on a parchment-lined pan. Bake 20 minutes.
- Brush with more sauce, turning chicken to coat well and bake an additional 20-25 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°F and sauce is sticky.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Enjoy the recipes. Great ideas
I am so glad you are enjoying the recipes Delia!
I love this and many other your recipes. I use an air fryer for the cooking. Delicious and juicy every time.
Thanks, Lynda! So happy to hear you are loving them!
At what temperature should I preheat the oven in celius
It would be about 200°C.
My family absolutely loved this!!
I used the brown sugar version and cooked it for 40 mins as the legs I had were on the smaller side. Perfectly juicy.
Love your recipes!
Thank you Pamela!!
OMG – so so so good and the oven does the work! Great recipe for a quick weekday meal for the busy family.
This was absolutely delicious! I used the brown sugar and garlic powder rather than the honey and garlic. Definitely will be making this one again!
How would you recommend reheating leftover chicken drumsticks?
Drumsticks can be reheated in the oven at 350°F for about 20 minutes or so.
This are amazing recipes that you have
Loved the sticky chicken drumsticks!!! Had to go out and buy another 13 drumsticks and make it again!!!! Also followed the recipe for making home made bar b q sauce… loved it!!!
Thank you for sharing Holly – I use a lot of your recipes…
So glad you loved it Faith!