Sweet and Sour Chicken is one of those dishes that once you start eating, you almost can’t stop. Instead of dashing out for take out, you can whip it up at home just as quickly with this recipe. The results are so good that you might never order out again when the craving hits!
Pin it to your DINNER BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
The Perfect Take-Out Fake-Out
There is nothing quite like sweet and sour chicken. It is one of my favorite take-out dishes on a busy night because it has so much flavor and all of my kids love it. These days we are skipping take-out in favor of healthier home cooked options. Luckily for me, I have found a new recipe that I adore and I swear it tastes even better than my favorite take-out version!
This Sweet and Sour Chicken is the perfect take-out fake-out to make at home with loads of juicy pineapple, peppers and tender chicken in a tangy sweet and sour sauce.
In fact, this is just one of MANY amazing recipes I’ve found in the book Good Fast Eats. This book was written by my good friend Amy who blogs over at Belly Full and she always creates such yummy food. The best thing about this book is exactly what it says on the cover.. Good FAST Eats.
A Great Resource for Super Quick Meals
If your evenings are anything like mine, this book is going to become a staple in your kitchen. Not only are the recipes delicious, they’re all super quick allowing fresh family dinners on the table every night of the week!
Amy’s cooking style is such a great fit for any busy family; her meals are loaded with flavor yet they are on the table quickly! Good Fast Eats is full of great ideas to inspire you in the kitchen and I love that it’s organized into types of proteins (or meatless) so I can find something to make based on what I have handy.
Not to mention, there are some great recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth including Amy’s world famous French Coconut Pie (next on my list of things to make)! There is literally something for everyone in this book!
This sweet and sour chicken recipe is unbelievably easy and delicious! Within 30 minutes you can have this on the table for a delicious and economical dinner that is completely comparable to take-out! This recipe makes 6 very generous servings making it perfect for a big family or for leftovers for lunch!
Grab your copy of Good Fast Eats here!
Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 8 oz pineapple chunks drained, juice reserved
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pound boneless chicken breast cut into chunks
- salt and pepper
- 1 small red bell pepper cut into one inch strips
- 1 small green bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 small sweet onion cut into strips
- cooked white rice optional
- sesame seeds for garnish optional
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and water until combined. Whisk in rice wine vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar and reserved pineapple juice.
- In a large skillet heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat. Toss the chicken in the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch and season with salt and pepper.
- Add to the skillet and cook without stirring for 2-3 minutes. Mix and continue to cook for 6 -7 minutes. With a slotted spoon transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add red bell pepper, green bell pepper and onion to the skillet; cook for 3 minutes or until vegetables soften. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the sweet and sour sauce mixture, along with the pineapple chunks. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes to warm thoroughly and allow the sauce to thicken slightly. Add the chicken back to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Serve over cooked white rice.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)