Oven Fried Chicken gives you all of the crispy, juicy flavor of a classic fried chicken recipe but without the guilt of the deep fryer. Tender chicken pieces are tossed in a mixture consisting of panko bread crumbs, corn flakes, cornmeal, and spices to give you a new family staple and a lot of crunch!
In this easy Oven Fried Chicken recipe, I use a whole chicken that is cut into pieces. If you prefer to make oven fried chicken breasts (bone-in) or oven fried chicken thighs or drumsticks, you can certainly use either of those!
How To Make Oven Fried Chicken
I make a crispy baked parmesan chicken, but for this recipe I really wanted to get a lot of good crunch! This oven fried chicken is tossed in a coating made from Panko, corn flakes, corn meal, and a delicious blend of my favorite spices.
To make oven fried chicken nice and crispy, you want to make sure it is properly coated. To do this, skin on chicken is dredged in flour which helps the egg to adhere to the chicken. This ensures you get a nice thick coating on it which will crisp well.
When you work with flour, egg, and breadcrumbs (my mom actually taught me this trick), use one of your hands for dipping in the egg, and one for the flour and breadcrumbs. This prevents you from breading your fingers. Alternatively, using a pair of tongs for each round can really save you the hassle of messy hands!
Of course you can use any kind of bowls for breading. To keep the mess to a minimum, either set it on a tray or use a set of breading trays which attach together. This really helps with clean up by keeping the crumbs all contained!
Once the chicken is dredged, you’ll want to either add a pat of butter on top of each piece or spray it with olive oil spray or cooking spray.
How long to cook oven fried chicken
Once the chicken is breaded (this is for bone in chicken), it should cook it for about 45-55 minutes in a 375°F oven, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the chicken reads 165°F.
Oven Fried Chicken
- 1 whole chicken cut up, 3-4lbs
- 3 eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup cornflake crumbs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Crush the corn flakes and pour into a shallow dish. Add the Panko and cornmeal and set aside.
- Combine the flour and seasonings in a bowl. Beat egg with milk in a separate bowl.
- Dip chicken in flour first and then egg and finally in the crumb mix pressing the crumbs to adhere.
- Place on a pan sprayed with cooking spray. Spray the top of the chicken with cooking spray (or dot the tops with butter).
- Bake 45-55 min or until juices run clear and chicken reaches 165°F.