This Cuban Mojo Chicken has been marinated in a wicked Cuban Mojo marinade and roasted to juicy perfection. Try this zesty, garlicky Cuban chicken for dinner tonight!
If you’ve never tried a marinated Cuban chicken before, you’re in for a real treat!!! Made with orange juice, cilantro, garlic, lime, mint and cumin powder, oregano, salt and pepper, it’s loaded with fresh flavours, it has depth, and complexity. It’s garlicky, it’s citrusy, the beautiful flavours of fresh cilantro are absolutely knock out.
And the secret ingredient in this? Orange juice. NO it doesn’t taste like orange once cooked!
Orange juice is such a terrific secret ingredient in marinades. It adds sweetness and more layers of flavour than just adding sugar. I’m actually not a fan of fruit with meat, so I can honestly promise you that it does not taste like orange!!
Look at the colour of that marinade. You just KNOW it’s loaded with spectacular flavours!!
Mojo marinade is fantastic to use for shrimp, chicken, pork and beef, cooked in all manner of ways – stove, BBQ, roasting, broiling.
The only method I do not recommend is the slow cooker or Instant Pot because this type of marinade really benefits from caramelisation of some form throughout most of the cooking time. So while many slow cooker recipes can be blasted at the end in the oven to brown it, I find it doesn’t really work with Mojo.
My personal favourite proteins to use with Mojo marinades are pork and chicken. I really think they are sensational when paired with the Mojo flavours.
For this particular recipe, I used drumsticks and bone in chicken thighs. I like using these cuts because they need to be roasted for around 50 minutes, giving it plenty of browning time to really let those flavours develop.
It will work with chicken breast too, but I’d sear the chicken on the stove instead of roasting it. That way the juices will seal in much better, and you’ll get the lovely browning on the crust. :-)
Little get ahead tip to make your week a little easier – freezer prep! Coat chicken in marinade then put it straight into the freezer.
Then the chicken marinates while it’s defrosting overnight in the fridge. Perfect!!! :-)
This easy Cuban chicken is one meal you’ll want to make over and over again. Tender juicy chicken loaded with delicious flavor, this Mojo chicken comes out perfectly tender every time!
Baked Cuban Mojo Chicken
- 2 lb bone in chicken thighs and chicken drumsticks about 8 pieces total
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves lightly packed
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/3 cup orange juice fresh
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh mint leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 orange cut into wedges
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Place Marinade ingredients in a food processor. Whizz until the cilantro is finely chopped.
- Pour Marinade over chicken in a large bowl. Cover with cling wrap and marinade for 12 – 36 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place chicken in a baking pan, and scrape in residual marinade in the bowl. Place thighs skin side DOWN. Add orange wedges, if using.
- Bake chicken for 30 minutes. Remove and turn chicken. Spoon over pan juices.
- Bake for a further 20 minutes or until the skin is nicely browned. Rest for 5 minutes then serve!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Recipes You’ll Love