Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak is one of our favorite comfort foods. Tender beef patties simmered in rich brown gravy with mushrooms and onions. This crockpot salisbury steak is perfect served over mashed potatoes, rice or pasta!
Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
This easy Salisbury steak one of our favorite family meals! I love using my slow cooker any time of year! We serve this on top of garlic mashed potatoes or rice but my all time favorite is serving it over cooked macaroni noodles. Add a side salad and you’ve got the perfect meal!
Since I’m the one who does most of the cooking, I love coming home to a ready meal and this easy slow cooker Salisbury Steak recipe tops my list.
The beef patties simmer all day in a rich gravy with mushrooms and onions resulting in a really flavorful dish and making them extra tender.
A lot of people confuse Salisbury steaks (which is a combination of ground beef in gravy) with Swiss Steak which is generally minute steak with a tomato-based sauce. (You can find my favorite Swiss steak recipe here).
Tips for Crockpot Salisbury Steak
This Easy Salisbury Steak can be prepared in a skillet but I love it in the slow cooker since it can be prepped ahead of time and it’s ready right when we get home from soccer practice.
- Homemade patties: it doesn’t take long to make the beef patties homemade, and they taste absolutely delicious.
- Sear the Patties: The simple step of searing the beef patties just helps them to hold their shape without falling apart plus browning meat always adds extra flavor!
- Freeze Option: I often double the beef patties in this recipe and freeze half of them (without browning them first) for next time. If you happen to have pre-made frozen beef patties they can be used in this recipe as well with great results.
- Ground Turkey Option: We have also made this recipe with ground turkey (I also add a bit of celery to the mixture) and a turkey gravy with great results. The patties always come out flavorful and fork tender.
Once seared the patties are layered in the Crock Pot with sliced onions and mushrooms. Next, I combine the gravy ingredients and pour it over the patties. While some recipes do call for cream of mushroom soup, I prefer this version with a richer darker gravy.
Easy Salisbury Steak Leftover Idea
Should you be lucky enough to have leftovers (we rarely do), this reheats perfectly and makes a great messy sandwich in a hamburger bun topped with sliced tomatoes and mayonnaise.
This easy salisbury steak recipe reheats perfectly and freezes well too!
What to Serve with Easy Salisbury Steak
- The BEST Mashed Potatoes– So creamy!
- Mashed Cauliflower “Potatoes”
- 30 Minute Dinner Rolls
- Easy Baked Zucchini – Family favorite!
- Garlic Butter Rice
- Easy Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits – So fluffy!
Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
- 6 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 onion , sliced
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth (low sodium)
- 1 oz package brown gravy mix (dry)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dijon
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 clove garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place mushrooms & onions in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Combine beef patty ingredients and form 6 patties. Brown over medium high heat (about 3 minutes per side).
- Layer beef patties over mushrooms. Combine remaining ingredients except water and cornstarch. Pour over beef and cook on low 5 hours.
- Once cooked, remove patties and set aside.
- Turn slow cooker onto high. Combine cold water and cornstarch. Stir into the broth and let cook a few minutes until thickened. Add beef back into the sauce to coat.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or rice.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)