Crockpot Swiss steak is one of those rich, hearty, meaty dinner recipes that has stood the test of time!
Savory Beef Steaks
- ‘Swissed’ means to roll or pound the meat, tenderizing it so it cooks up tender just like the veggies!
- This version of swiss steaks cooks in the slow cooker for the perfect set it and forget it meal.
- Much like the beef in a stew recipe, these steaks become fork tender by cooking low and slow.
- This recipe freezes and reheats well.
Ingredients for Crock Pot Swiss Steak
MEAT: Traditionally, Swiss steak comes from inside round or cube steaks. These cuts become tender when cooked low and slow.
VEGGIES: Use veggies like onions, peppers, carrots, and celery.
Add in mushrooms, green beans, or fresh green peas if you’d like.
SAUCE: Diced or crushed tomatoes and beef broth are paired with flavorful ingredients to make a thick tomato gravy.
Add diced canned tomatoes to this sauce or crushed tomatoes for a smoother sauce. If you prefer extra sauce, you can add extra tomatoes.
How to Make Crockpot Swiss Steak
- Place veggies & garlic in a slow cooker (per the full recipe below).
- Pound steaks & lightly coat them in flour.
- Brown them in a skillet and place them in the crockpot.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours on low. Serve immediately with sauce.
What to Serve with Swiss Steak
Serve Swiss steak and gravy over any of the following:
- For best results, store Swiss steaks in their sauce in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheat steaks with sauce in a sauce pan on the stove or in the microwave.
- Freeze steaks and sauce in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 4 weeks.
Our Fave Crockpot Recipes
- Crock Pot Cube Steak & Gravy – home-cooked comfort
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore – Italian-inspired recipe
- Crock Pot Pork Tenderloin – a 5 star dish
- Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo – quick & easy
- CrockPot Beef Stew – so hearty & delicious
Did you make these Crockpot Swiss Steaks? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Crockpot Swiss Steaks
- 1 ½ pounds round steak or cube steaks or minute steaks
- 2 carrots sliced into 1" pieces
- 1 stalk celery sliced into 1" pieces
- ½ onion sliced ½"
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 14 oz canned diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- corn starch for thickening optional
- Add sliced carrots, celery, onion, & garlic to the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Pound steaks with a meat tenderizer to ¼ inch thickness and season with salt and pepper (cube steaks do not need to be pounded). Put flour in a shallow dish or plate and dredge each steak in the flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and brown steaks on both sides, about 2 minutes per side adding more oil if needed.
- In the same pan, add wine and scrape up any brown bits. Add to the slow cooker with remaining ingredients except for the cornstarch.
- Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high or until steaks are fork tender.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or noodles.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)