Crockpot Philly Cheesesteaks make a great meal perfect for busy weeknights or when the big game is on!
Tender beef and onions, and with melted provolone cheese (bell peppers are optional) all come together in the slow cooker.
With all the flavors of our favorite Cheesesteak sandwich everyone raves about this recipe!
What is a Philly Cheesesteak?
The combination of thinly sliced steak, melted cheese, and onions in a hoagie roll is just too irresistible.
Not traditional but still delicious! A cheesesteak is sometimes served with bell peppers and often served without. We love the flavor so we add them in.
Not a fan? Leave them out!
Ingredients & Variations
BEEF The best beef for the crock pot is a cut that becomes perfectly tender when slow slow-cooked in the crockpot.
A beef roast or a chuck or pot roast is just right (and the same cut I use in French dip sandwiches). It makes savory and extra tender slices of meat for Philly cheesesteaks with minimal effort.
CHEESE Traditionally, a Philly cheesesteak is topped with provolone, Cheez Whiz, or American cheese but nowadays you can use almost any cheese you wish! Try melting on mozzarella, cheddar, or havarti for a change.
BUNS Hoagie or sub buns are the best options for this sandwich! They are hearty and hold up well under the weight of this hearty sandwich.
Don’t have time to grab those buns? You could serve mini cheesesteak sliders on dinner rolls or even make a sandwich with a classic loaf of bread in a pinch.
How To Make Philly Cheesesteaks in the Slow Cooker
The best cheesesteak sandwich is easy to prepare. Just pop in the slow cooker and let it cook away!
- Season, brown the beef, and place in the crockpot (per recipe below).
- Add remaining ingredients and cook on low, adding bell peppers in the last 45 minutes if desired.
- Remove the beef and slice thinly against the grain and return to the crockpot (or shred if you prefer).
- Assemble sandwiches and bake until the cheese is melted.
Serve immediately for the best results and the most delicious flavor!
Make ahead sides:
- Classic Macaroni Salad
- Classic Coleslaw Recipe
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Southern Potato Salad
- Creamy Broccoli Slaw
Sandwiches Best Served Hot
- Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches – great for tailgating!
- French Dip Sandwich – melt-in-your-mouth tender
- Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwiches – great for a crowd!
- Crock Pot Pulled Pork – 5 minutes prep
- Easy Tuna Melts
- Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes – prepare in advance!
Did you enjoy this Slow Cooker Cheesesteak Recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Slow Cooker Cheesesteak Recipe
- 2 lb beef roast chuck or pot roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10.5 oz beef broth low sodium
- 2 onions sliced
- 10.5 oz French onion soup canned
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 2 bell peppers sliced (yellow, red or green), optional
- 8 oz sliced provolone or American cheese
- 8 hoagie or sub rolls
- Season beef with salt & pepper. Heat olive oil over medium high heat and brown beef on all sides. Place in the slow cooker.
- Add broth to the pan scraping up any brown bits. Add to the slow cooker with onions, onion soup, soy sauce, and garlic.
- Cook on low 8 hours adding peppers during last 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Open sub rolls top with cheese on each side. Bake about 5 minutes or just until cheese is melted. Top with beef and peppers.