Roasted Delicata Squash is a delicious winter squash that is easy to prepare and perfect for almost any meal!
Making baked squash is so much more flavorful than boiling or steaming and leftovers are great in salads or soups.
What is Delicata Squash?
Delicata squash is a variety of winter squash. It has a long cylinder shape with delicate skin.
We love it because the thin skin makes it easy to cut and prepare and it has a rich squash flavor.
Ingredients for Baked Squash
This squash is very flavorful so we’ve kept the seasonings simple but have also included some delicious variations below.
SEASONING: Keep it simple with garlic and sage or change things up with an Italian seasoning blend or fresh basil and oregano straight from the garden!
If you prefer a sweeter squash, add brown sugar and a bit of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice.
OIL: Olive oil is the perfect pair for this recipe. You can swap it out for vegetable oil or canola oil.
PRO TIP: Scoop out & roast the seeds the same way pumpkin seeds are roasted for a yummy snack!
How to Cut Delicata Squash
This recipe calls for sliced squash but Delicata is also great for cubing or mashing! The thin skin makes it easy to cut.
- Slice the squash in half, lengthwise.
- Scoop out the seeds with a large spoon.
- Slice into ½” slices.
How to Roast Delicata Squash
Delicata Squash is a healthy and delicious side dish that is ready in 3 simple steps!
- PREP: Slice the squash into ½” slices (per the recipe below).
- SEASON: Toss with oil and seasonings.
- BAKE: Roast until easily pierced with a fork.
COUNTER: Uncooked whole delicata squash will last up to 4 weeks on the counter.
FRIDGE: Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3-4 days in an airtight container.
FREEZER: This squash will last 3-4 months in the freezer.
More Squash Recipes We Love
- Air Fryer Roasted Butternut Squash – the perfect side dish
- Roasted Patty Pan Squash – 4 simple ingredients
- Butternut Squash Risotto – easy yet elegant
- Easy Squash Casserole – with a breadcrumb topping
- Roasted Butternut Squash – great for the holidays
- Honey Butter Roasted Acorn Squash – perfect holiday recipe
- Parmesan Baked Acorn Squash – freezer friendly
Did you make this Roasted Delicata Squash? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Roasted Delicata Squash
- 4 small delicata squash about 2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon ground sage or poultry seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and use a large spoon to scrape out any seeds.
- Cut into ½" slices and toss with remaining ingredients.
- Place squash on the prepared pan and roast 15 minutes. Flip squash over and roast an additional 10-15 minutes.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!