This easy recipe for baked acorn squash is brushed with butter and lightly seasoned with parmesan cheese.
I love the sweet cozy flavor of squash and in this recipe, it quickly cooks to tender perfection.
Perfect Parmesan Squash
Baking or roasting is one of our favorite ways to cook acorn squash.
- Baked acorn squash is a sweet and delicious winter squash that is easy to prepare.
- Slicing the squash makes it cook quickly making it great for weeknight meals.
- This recipe needs just a few ingredients and it can be prepared up to 48 hours before baking.
- Whole acorn squashes are easy to find and a delicious way to get all those healthy vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber.
Ingredients and Variations
ACORN SQUASH: Start with firm and heavy acorn squashes that smell slightly sweet at the base. Save the seeds because they can be roasted just like pumpkin seeds!
SEASONINGS: Parmesan cheese is the tangy complement to the sweet and nutty flavor of the acorn squash. For a more festive dish, sprinkle on a little brown sugar or even some Pumpkin Pie Spice or Apple Pie Spice. Drizzle acorn squash with honey or maple syrup before roasting and let the sugars caramelize onto the flesh and skin.
How to Prepare Acorn Squash
Very little prep is needed to get this squash on the table.
- Cut acorn squash in half top to bottom.
- Scoop out the seeds.
- Place cut side down and slice into wedges, about 1/2-inch thick.
How to Bake Acorn Squash
This recipe is so easy, simply slice and season!
- Preheat the oven before cutting the squash (above).
- Toss the acorn squash slices with olive oil, seasonings, and parmesan cheese per the recipe below.
- Season & roast until the squash is tender.
Keep leftover roasted acorn squash in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Freeze leftovers in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 4 weeks.
Chilled leftover squash is great added to kale salad too!
More Squash Favorites
- Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash
- Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Stuffed Butternut Squash
- Feta Spaghetti Squash
- Roasted Delicata Squash
- Air Fryer Acorn Squash
What’s your favorite way to serve squash? Let us know in a comment below!
Parmesan Baked Acorn Squash
- 2 small acorn squash or 1 large, about 2 lbs
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut acorn squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and cut squash into 1-inch slices.
- Place squash in a large bowl and add remaining ingredients. Toss well to combine.
- Spread squash onto a large sheet pan and roast 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- Garnish with fresh herbs if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!