Mild and buttery, roasted patty pan squash is a delicious complement to any entrée!
Fall is the best time of year for bountiful harvests of squash! We love these mini pattypan squashes for their versatility, flavor, and ease of preparation.
What is Patty Pan Squash?
This early fall squash is round and shallow with scalloped edges, it resembles a toy spinning top. It is bright yellow with a firm flesh that makes it a good choice for all kinds of cooking applications.
Patty pan squash has a flavor (and texture) very similar to zucchini or summer squash.
It can be roasted whole or, as in this recipe, cut into cubes.
Also called “baby squash,” we love how easy it is to bake in the oven and it doesn’t even need to be peeled. This recipe uses fresh herbs and garlic for a light and fresh flavor.
Ingredients and Variations
FRESH HERBS Fresh parsley, basil, dill, lemon zest, and salt make a delicious herb oil.
GARLIC makes just about any roasted vegetable taste amazing, and patty pan squash is no exception to the rule!
OLIVE OIL We love olive oil in dressings and in the oil in this recipe. If you have baacon grease, use a little for roasting a rich smoky flavor!
VARIATIONS Sprinkle on a little Parmesan cheese and place the roasted squash under the broiler until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown!
How to Roast Patty Pan Squash
This simple recipe is ready in no time. It’s not necessary to peel the squash, just wash and cut!
- Season prepared patty pan with oil, salt, and pepper and roast according to recipe below.
- Prepare herbed oil, toss with roasted squash and serve immediately.
If you have leftovers, serve them chilled on top of a bed of greens or puree it and add it to soup!
Keep it in a covered container in the refrigerator and reheat it in the microwave. Refresh the flavors with a little more salt and pepper and it’s good to go!
Freeze chilled roasted squash in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside and it will keep its flavor for at least a month.
So Much Squash!
- Roasted Summer Squash – ready in 25 minutes
- Butternut Squash Soup – so rich & creamy
- Summer Squash Rice – easy & flavorful side dish
- Easy Squash Casserole – a 5 star recipe
- Sauteed Zucchini – savory & colorful
Did you make this Roasted Patty Pan Squash? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Roasted Patty Pan Squash with Herb Oil
- 1 ½ pounds patty pan squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt & pepper to taste
Herb Oil (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley
- ½ tablespoon fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- kosher salt & black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Wash patty pan squash and trim the top and bottom. Cut into 1" bite sized pieces. Toss with olive oil, garlic and salt & pepper to taste.
- Roast 12-15 minutes or just until tender-crisp. Broil 1 minute if desired.
- While squash is roasting, finely chop herbs. Whisk herbs with olive oil, lemon zest and a small pinch of salt.
- Toss herb oil with squash and serve warm.