If you’ve never made a poke cake before, you have to try it! They are easy to make and so good, the Jell-O keeps the cake extra moist!
To make it really quick, this recipe starts with a boxed cake mix but if you have a favorite white cake recipe, by all means use that! Once the cake is done baking you’re going to poke it all over, the more holes the better! I use the end of a chopstick but the end of any sort of spoon will work perfectly! You’ll want your holes in somewhat of rows so you can alternate the red & blue Jell-O as you pour it over. I found it worked best to put the Jell-O in a squeeze bottle (you can grab them on Amazon or even use a ketchup squeeze bottle from the dollar store).
Items You’ll Need For This Recipe
RED WHITE AND BLUE POKE CAKE
- 1 box white cake mix plus ingredients called for on the box
- your favorite homemade white cake recipe
- 1 package red Jell-O 4 serving size
- 1 package blue Jell-O 4 serving size
- 1 tub dessert topping
- 2 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Prepare and bake cake in a 9×13 pan according to package directions or recipe.
- Let cake cool 15 minutes. Using a chopstick or similar tool, poke holes all over the cake (I did 15 rows of 12).
- Mix red Jell-O with ¾ cup boiling water until dissolved. Add ½ cup cold water. Pour red Jell-O into every other row of holes.
- Repeat with blue Jell-O. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- If using, whip heavy cream & powdered sugar on medium until stiff peaks form. Spread over cake. Keep refrigerated until serving.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Flag Cake with Cheesecake Topping
- Frosty Patriotic Punch
- 4th of July Layered Jello
- Stuffed Strawberry Pops
- Strawberry Cupcakes with Fresh Strawberry Frosting