If you’ve never made a poke cake before, you have to try it! They are easy to make and so good, the Jell-O keeps the cake extra moist!
To make it really quick, this recipe starts with a boxed cake mix but if you have a favorite white cake recipe, by all means use that! Once the cake is done baking you’re going to poke it all over, the more holes the better! I use the end of a chopstick but the end of any sort of spoon will work perfectly! You’ll want your holes in somewhat of rows so you can alternate the red & blue Jell-O as you pour it over. I found it worked best to put the Jell-O in a squeeze bottle (you can grab them on Amazon or even use a ketchup squeeze bottle from the dollar store).
Items You’ll Need For This Recipe
Red White and Blue Poke Cake
- 1 box white cake mix plus ingredients called for on the box
- your favorite homemade white cake recipe
- 1 package red Jell-O 4 serving size
- 1 package blue Jell-O 4 serving size
- 1 tub dessert topping
- 2 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Prepare and bake cake in a 9×13 pan according to package directions or recipe.
- Let cake cool 15 minutes. Using a chopstick or similar tool, poke holes all over the cake (I did 15 rows of 12).
- Mix red Jell-O with ¾ cup boiling water until dissolved. Add ½ cup cold water. Pour red Jell-O into every other row of holes.
- Repeat with blue Jell-O. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- If using, whip heavy cream & powdered sugar on medium until stiff peaks form. Spread over cake. Keep refrigerated until serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Flag Cake with Cheesecake Topping
- Frosty Patriotic Punch
- 4th of July Layered Jello
- Stuffed Strawberry Pops
- Strawberry Cupcakes with Fresh Strawberry Frosting