This pretty Flag Cake topped with a no bake cheesecake is the perfect dessert for your 4th of July parties!
This cake recipe comes together easily with your favorite white boxed cake mix (or your favorite homemade white cake) and the addition of a few simple ingredients. The cheesecake topping on this cake will have everyone asking for the recipe. It’s rich and light at the same time without being overly sweet!
This flag cake is perfect for your patriotic festivities! While I love to make it with white cake mix this recipe is really good with strawberry cake too! If you have a from scratch cake recipe you love, you can certainly use that too! You can customize the flavor of this cake by using any flavor of red or blue jello (I usually use strawberry)!
The cheesecake topping on this cake is my favorite, it’s creamy and just lightly sweetened (and is perfect with the berries)! If cheesecake isn’t your preferred dessert, you can use your favorite whipped topping and skip the cream cheese, I’ve made it that way several times as well and it is delicious too!
A little serving tip: If you cut the cake into squares before putting the cream cheese layer on, it makes the cake super easy to serve and helps to keep the Flag Cake looking great, even after everyone has started to dig into it! Just simply cut the cake once the Jell-O has set and then add the topping. When you reach into the cake with a spatula it will naturally lift where you’ve already cut it making it easy to serve and less messy!
While this is an American flag cake, it can easily be modified for Canada Day by skipping the blueberries and creating a maple leaf shape with strawberries (as well as along the sides of the cake) to replicate the Canadian flag!! If you cut the berries top to bottom, they make a nice shape for layering into a leaf!
Items You’ll Need For This Recipe
FLAG CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE TOPPING
- 1 box white cake plus ingredients required on the box
- 1 box strawberry Jell-o 4 serving size
- strawberries & blueberries
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tub whipped topping
- Prepare cake in a 9×13 pan according to package directions. Cool and poke the entire cake with a fork.
- Add 1 cup of boiling water to the jello mixture and stir until all powder is dissolved. Stir in 1/2 cup cold water. Gently pour over cake and refrigerate 4 hours.
- Mix softened cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add whipped topping. Spread over cake.
- Create a blueberry rectangle in the top left corner of the cake. Cut strawberries in half and place in rows.
- Refrigerate 2 hours before serving.