This easy flag cake is a crowd-pleasing, delicious dessert that everyone will want more of!
A tender strawberry poke cake is topped with a creamy cheesecake inspired topping and fresh summer berries.
This light and airy cake is topped with berries to make either an American flag cake or a Candian flag. It is as pretty as it is delicious!
A Delicious Summer Cake
- This is a moist and easy cake to make any time of year.
- Top it off with fresh berries or turn it into a flag cake for your 4th of July picnic table or Canada day celebration!
- It’s great for celebrations because it’s best made ahead of time.
- Let the kids help decorate the flag in “stars and stripes” or for Canada Day, slice strawberries vertically to make leaves and then place them on the cake in the shape of a maple leaf.
- This fun cake recipe will be an annual summer dessert go-to! Bake more than one and freeze them for up to 6 weeks for future holidays and birthday celebrations!
Ingredients & Variations
Cake – The batter for this cake is easy from a boxed cake mix! Experiment with different cakes and Jello flavors. Yellow cake, Funfetti, or red velvet cake mixes can be paired with cherry, blueberry, or watermelon Jello.
Topping – The topping on this cake is a play on our favorite no bake cheesecake recipe.
To make it faster, simply frost the cake with whipped topping or your favorite frosting. For the fruit, choose strawberries that are about the same size so the ‘stripes’ are uniform across the top of the cake.
Decorations – Lines of strawberries make red and white stripes. Use red licorice vines to make outline the red stripe for the strawberries. Add silver or gold edible glitter to the top or red, white, and blue sprinkles. Swap out the strawberries for rows of raspberries if you’d like.
If making a Canadian flag, cut the strawberries top to bottom to make a triangular shape. Use the image above to create a maple leaf design and place strawberries along the sides of the cake to resemble a flag.
How to Make a Flag Cake
Making this cake is sure to become part of every celebration!
- Bake cake according to package directions in a 9×13 pan until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake to room temperature & poke the entire cake with a fork or chopstick. Dissolve Jello in boiling water & stir in cold water per the recipe below.
- Pour Jello over the cake. Cover & refrigerate the cake for at least 4 hours.
- Beat cream cheese & sugar until light & fluffy. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over cake.
- Use the photos as a guide to decorate with berries or get creative on your own! Refrigerate 2 hours before serving.
This is an easy make-ahead cake! Prepare up to step 3 and keep refrigerated until ready to frost.
Keep flag cake covered and in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze portions (after removing the berries) by gently wrapping them in plastic wrap and then putting the portions in a zippered bag. Pop one or two out and thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
Easy Peasy Poke Cakes!
- Chocolate Poke Cake – made from scratch
- Strawberry Poke Cake – so easy to make
- Creamsicle Orange Poke Cake – a total crowd pleaser
- Coconut Caramel Poke Cake – perfect for a party
Did you make this Flag Cake for the 4th of July? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Flag Cake with Cream Cheese Topping
- 1 box white cake plus ingredients required on the box
- 1 box strawberry Jell-o 4 serving size
- strawberries & blueberries
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 8 oz whipped topping or 3 cups stabilized whipped cream
- Prepare cake in a 9×13 pan according to package directions. Cool and poke the entire cake with a fork.
- Add 1 cup of boiling water to the jello mixture and stir until all powder is dissolved. Stir in ½ cup cold water. Gently pour over cake and refrigerate 4 hours.
- Mix softened cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add whipped topping. Spread over cake.
- Create a blueberry rectangle in the top left corner of the cake. Cut strawberries in half and place in rows.
- If making a Canadian flag, cut the strawberries from top to bottom to make a triangular shape. Use the image in this post as a guide to create a maple leaf shape and place strawberries along the sides of the cake to resemble a flag.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.