This orange poke cake is a fluffy white cake infused with orange flavor and topped with a quick and easy vanilla frosting making it taste just like our favorite childhood frozen dessert. It’s a easy dessert that’s a total crowd pleaser and perfect for any summer potluck!
When I’m looking for a quick and easy dessert, I often turn to poke cakes. It’s a great way to turn a boxed cake mix into something a little more fancy and unexpected, and the flavor combinations are endless! With warm weather approaching, I’ve got summery flavors on my mind which is how I came up with this orange creamsicle poke cake. It’s got all the flavors of the classic popsicle, in the form of a cake that’s designed to serve a crowd.
This orange poke cake starts with a box of cake mix. I typically use a white cake mix, but I have also made this cake with an orange flavored mix. The cake is baked according to package directions and then poked all over. I use a fork to make the holes in the cake. Then cake then gets doused in orange jello which adds a ton of flavor and beautiful color. The frosting is a combination of vanilla pudding and whipped topping. The finishing touch is mandarin oranges. You can also garnish with fresh mint sprigs if desired.
This cake is best made in advance, as the longer it chills, the more the orange flavor infuses into the cake. The cake needs a minimum of 3 hours in the refrigerator before it’s served, but it can even be made a day or two in advance with great results.
This creamsicle orange poke cake is sure to be a hit with your family and friends, it’s always the first cake to disappear on the dessert table when I bring it to parties!
ORANGE CREAMSICLE POKE CAKE
- 1 box white cake mix
- oil water and eggs as called for on cake mix box
- cooking spray
- 1 3 ounce box orange jello
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 3.4 ounce box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 8 ounce container whipped topping thawed
- 1 11 ounce can mandarin oranges drained
- optional garnish: fresh mint sprigs
- Preheat the oven according to the cake package directions.
- Coat a 9″x13″ pan with cooking spray.
- Prepare cake according to package and bake for the time directed.
- Let the cake cool for 15 minutes, then use a fork to poke holes all over the cake.
- Place the boiling water in a medium bowl and add the jello; whisk until the jello has completely dissolved. Stir in the cold water.
- Pour the jello over the top of the cake. Cover and chill for at least three hours or up to 2 days.
Place the milk in a large bowl; add the pudding mix and stir until smooth and thickened. Fold in the whipped topping.
- Frost the cake with the whipped topping mixture. Decorate the cake with the mandarin oranges. Cut into squares and serve, garnished with mint sprigs if desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)