These 4th of July Layered Jello desserts are sure to be the hit of the party!! A total crowd pleaser, make these kiddie friendly then make another batch for the grown ups by turning these into VODKA JELLO desserts!
Every time I make Jello, I wonder why I don’t make it more often. I always associated Jello with kids, but the truth is that the minute I take one bite, I can’t stop myself from scoffing down the whole thing.
AND I also noticed at the grocery store that there is LITE Jello! How did I not know this?? It’s practically zero calorie! I would have loved to make these guilt-free treats but I couldn’t find blue LITE Jello. Bugger!
I love the spirit of America for 4th of July! I live in Australia and we don’t have any public holiday that inspires quite as much patriotism as 4th of July does. My friends in the States are always bugging me to go over to see the celebrations and every year, I just miss it.
One day, I want to experience a real 4th of July IN the States!!
My readers always ask me for easy 4th of July dessert ideas around this time each year and I always forget. So I’m super excited to have had this opportunity to create something for Spend With Pennies.
The beauty of these Jello desserts are that you can make them kid friendly OR you can add a fun twist by turning them into vodka Jellos! It’s super easy – just switch out 1/2 cup of water with 1/2 cup of vodka. Or gin. Whatever takes your fancy. :-)
I only add vodka to the red and blue layers because the middle layer is made with condensed milk and I wasn’t sure about adding vodka to that. I’d love to know if you try though! Or perhaps another type of liquor? :-)
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!!
You can use any flavors of Jell-o to get the colors you’re looking for, we’ve used cherry Jell-o for the red layer and a blue raspberry for the blue layer. For those of you not familiar with the unflavored Gelatin, you can find it next to the regular Jell-o packages in the grocery store (or get it on Amazon, I use Knox brand).
Patriotic 4th of July Layered Jelly
- 1 packet cherry (red) Jello
- 1 packet blue Jello
- 1 packet unflavoured Gelatin
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup vodka optional (if making "Vodka Jello)
- Whipped cream and silver balls for decorating if desired
- Place red Jello in a jug and add 1 cup of boiled water. Stir until crystals are dissolved. Add 3/4 cup cold water. Divide between cups (I used 8 small glasses of varying sizes and shapes).
- Refrigerate for 1 hour until mostly set.
Sprinkle unflavoured gelatine over 1/4 cup of cold water, let stand for 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup boiled water and stir until granules are dissolved. Add sweetened condensed milk and stir until smooth, then divide between glasses. Refrigerate 1 hour or until almost set.
- Make blue Jello following steps #1. Divide between glasses then refrigerate until fully set.
- Garnish with whipped cream and silver balls if desired, and serve!
- VODKA VERSION: Reduce water by 1/2 cup for the red and blue jello, and replace with vodka.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Recipes You’ll Love
Frosty Patriotic Punch! Red, White and blue layered drink!