There is nothing quite like a delicious sweet fresh strawberry! These strawberry cupcakes always turn out extra moist and the frosting captures the sweet summery flavor of the strawberries! If you’re looking for a delicious sprint or summer dessert, this recipe is for you!
The strawberry buttercream frosting has a couple of steps but they are easy and it is definitely worth it! I like to store this in the fridge for a little bit before piping it onto the cupcakes just to firm it up as it is a soft frosting! Keeping it in the fridge does not harden it, just firms it up so you can even make it a day or 2 ahead of time. Just take it out of the fridge about 15 minutes before piping.
Items you’ll need for this recipe
* Fresh Strawberries * Cupcake Pan * Cream Cheese *
Strawberry Cupcakes with Fresh Strawberry Frosting
- 1 box of white cake mix plus ingredients required to make the mix (or your favorite white cake recipe)
- 1 box (4 servings size) strawberry jello
- 2 cups strawberries sliced
- 1 cup butter softened
- 4 - 4 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened (the block, not the spreadable tub)
- ½ teaspoon strawberry extract (optional)
- red food coloring (optional)
- Prepare cake mix as directed on the box (or in your recipe). Divide the batter into 3 bowls.
- Add 1 tablespoon Jell-o powder to one of the bowls. Add the remaining Jell-o powder to a second bowl and mix well. Leave the third bowl with white batter.
- Line your cupcake wells with cupcake papers. Starting with white batter (if you don't start with the white batter, the cupcakes may stick to the paper), alternate colors of batter 1 tablespoon at a time until all batter is distributed.
- Bake according to box directions.
Fresh Strawberry Frosting
- Puree strawberries until smooth. Place in a small saucepan over medium heat and simmer over medium heat until reduced to ¾ cup (approx 15 minutes). Cool completely.
- Cream butter and 1 cup of powdered sugar until fluffy. Add 2 tablespoons of strawberry puree and 1 cup of powdered sugar. Repeat until 4 cups of the powdered sugar has been incorporated. Add remaining puree and cream cheese. Continue beating until fluffy. If desired, add additional powdered sugar to achieve a firmer consistency.
- Refrigerate frosting for about 30 minutes or overnight.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)