This dressing is so good I could literally drink it!
This Blue Cheese Dressing recipe is the perfect dip for just about anything. The bold flavor of blue cheese is mellow and delicious in this creamy dressing base.
Just add buffalo wings or cauliflower wings! Or serve alongside Crockpot Hot Wings!
The Perfect Dressing for Everything!
I love the flavor of blue cheese dressing.
When we go out to eat, if wedge salad is on the menu, I’m ordering it because I love the blue cheese dressing so much.
- It’s easy to make at home and, just like ranch dressing, it tastes SO MUCH better than store-bought!
- Blue cheese is tangy and this dressing has the flavor but mellows it out slightly.
- Reduce the milk to make a blue cheese dip and serve it alongside buffalo wings or add it to buffalo chicken dip.
Mayonnaise and sour cream make the base of this dressing and a bit of fresh lemon juice adds brightness.
This recipe uses garlic powder for a subtle flavor (as fresh garlic can overpower the other flavors).
Use any kind of blue cheese or blue cheese crumbles from gorgonzola to stilton to Roquefort.
How To Make Blue Cheese Dressing
To make homemade blue cheese dressing:
- Combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, sour cream, and 1/2 of the blue cheese in a blender until smooth
- Stir in remaining blue cheese (crumble it well so you have little chunks of blue cheese).
- Add milk, a tablespoon at a time, until your dressing is the desired consistency. I like to keep it a little thicker for a blue cheese dip, and a little thinner if it’s a salad dressing.
Using a blender or food processor to make this recipe helps the blend the flavors creating a silky delicious dressing. If you don’t have a blender, a hand blender works just fine, I use mine for absolutely everything from smoothies to Broccoli Cheese Soup (you can find them at any store or online for under $30).
Once blended I add milk to thin this recipe out to the right consistency. Depending on the brand of cheese it can thicken up quite a bit! I’ve also made this recipe adding buttermilk with amazing results!
Is Blue Cheese Dressing Keto? You bet! Blue cheese dressing is low carb, making it perfect for the keto diet. One tablespoon has under 1 gram of carbs, so you don’t have to sacrifice those hot wings during game day. It’s perfect over iceberg lettuce or as a dipper for celery!
How Long Does Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing Last?
If you make homemade blue cheese dressing, it will last in the fridge for up to 7 days (make sure your sour cream is fresh). I like to whip up homemade dressings on the weekend for great options throughout the week.
I keep my homemade dressing in a spouted Salad Dressing Jar for easy pouring but a mason jar works just fine too. If you have leftover dressing jars from the store, just rinse those out and use them! Remember to label the best before date or the date you made the dressing so you know when it’s past due.
More Homemade Dressings
Blue Cheese Dressing
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup blue cheese finely crumbled, divided
- 4-6 tablespoons milk or buttermilk
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives optional
- Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic powder, and half of the blue cheese in a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Stir in remaining blue cheese and chives if using.
- Add milk a little at a time to reach desired consistency. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- Store in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Hi, could this blue cheese dressing be used on your buffalo chicken pizza? Really hope so as in the UK we don’t seem to sell jars of blue cheese dressing any more.
Definitely, Ruth! It should work well for that.
Thank you, I will definitely be trying it this weekend!
Best blue cheese dressing ever
What’s the best blue cheese to use… something not very strong
Hi Lynette, The softer and creamier the blue cheese the less pungent the flavor and scent should be. You could try Gorgonzola for a softer flavor.
GOAT enough said
Where did you find the jar you have featured in your pictures? I did look on Amazon with not much success. Really like this jar design.
Can’t wait to try your dressing…love blue cheese dressing.
I wish I could locate this jar, I get emails about it frequently! I purchased it many years ago from H&M home and they no longer have it. There is embossing on the jar says “100 lbs Net, Stock No.1”
Unfortunately, there is no other information on the jar to identify.
if you love blue cheese dressing it’s the bomb