Blue Cheese Dressing is the perfect dip for just about anything. The sharp flavor of creamy blue cheese is complemented perfectly with a silky, creamy dressing base. Just add buffalo wings or cauliflower wings!
The Perfect Dressing for Everything!
I love the flavor of blue cheese dressing. When we go out to eat, I love ordering a wedge salad with blue cheese dressing as an appetizer! It’s one of my favorite dressings (my husband can attest to that), and it couldn’t be easier to make at home! Just like ranch dressing, Blue Cheese Dressing is so much better when it’s homemade!
I add a bit of fresh lemon juice for brightness and often stir in chopped chives. This recipe uses garlic powder to add a little bit of flavor as I find that fresh garlic can overpower the other flavors.
How To Make Blue Cheese Dressing
To make homemade blue cheese dressing:
- Combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, sour cream, and 1/2 of the blue cheese in a blender until smooth
- Stir in remaining blue cheese
- Add milk, a tablespoon at a time, until your dressing is the desired consistency. I like to keep it a little thicker for a blue cheese dip, and a little thinner if it’s a salad dressing.
Using a blender or food processor to make this recipe helps the blend the flavors creating a silky delicious dressing. If you don’t have a blender, a hand blender works just fine, I use mine for absolutely everything from smoothies to Broccoli Cheese Soup (you can find them at any store or online for under $30).
Once blended I add milk to thin this recipe out to the right consistency. Depending on the brand of cheese it can thicken up quite a bit! I’ve also made this recipe adding buttermilk with amazing results!
Is Blue Cheese Dressing Keto? You bet! Blue cheese dressing is low carb, making it perfect for the keto diet. One tablespoon has under 1 gram of carbs, so you don’t have to sacrifice those hot wings during game day.
How Long Does Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing Last?
If you make homemade blue cheese dressing, it will last in the fridge for up to 7 days (make sure your sour cream is fresh). I like to whip up a batch of homemade blue cheese dressing and homemade Italian dressing so I have some great options if I need to make a quick weeknight side salad.
I keep my homemade dressing in a spouted Salad Dressing Jar for easy pouring. If you have leftover dressing jars from the store, just rinse those out and use them! Remember to label the best before date or the date you made the dressing so you know when it’s past due.
More Homemade Dressings
Blue Cheese Dressing
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup blue cheese finely crumbled
- 4-6 tablespoons milk or buttermilk
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives optional
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, garlic powder and half of the blue cheese in a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Stir in remaining blue cheese and chives if using.
- Add milk a little at a time to reach desired consistency. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- Store in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad – drizzle this dressing over it
- Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Dip
- How to Make Buffalo Sauce
- Avocado Dressing and Dip – another great creamy dip
- Baked Buffalo Wings