No need to make difficult dessert decisions, instead make this decadent pumpkin pecan pie and have both kinds of pie in one!
This double-layered delight starts as a delicious pumpkin pie and is then topped off with everyone’s favorite pecan pie recipe. The result is the perfect deep dish pie and a happy ending to any meal!
Pumpkin and Pecan Pie in One Bite!
- No need to choose between pumpkin and pecan pie, just make this easy dessert and have it all!
- Pecan pumpkin pie is two pies in one! It’s a decadently delicious deep-dish dessert that is sure to be the favorite at the pie bar.
- Save time and make one pie instead of two. Just one slice of this rich double-decker dessert will satisfy even the most devoted pie eater. Throw in a super easy homemade apple pie or a cheesecake apple pie, and the hungriest crowd will be filled with gratitude!
Ingredients for Pecan Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin pie filling – Make this with pumpkin puree either from a can or make it homemade. Don’t forget to add pumpkin pie spice for the best flavor! Evaporated milk, an egg, and sugar make a filling that tastes so delicious.
Pecan pie filling – Use chopped pecans for the filling and whole pecans for the topping. Or use a streusel topping in addition to pecans, if desired. Fresh is best when it comes to pecans, so keep them stored in the freezer until ready for use. Then just mix together butter and eggs, corn syrup and sugar, with cornstarch to make the best filling ever.
Crust – Use a premade or frozen crust from the market, or make your own amazing flaky homemade pie crust. It’s not difficult to do, just follow the instructions carefully. Since this is a deep dish pie, it may need to be rolled a little thinner than usual.
How to Make Pumpkin Pecan Pie
- Combine the pumpkin pie filling ingredients, pour into a pie shell, and bake.
- Meanwhile, mix together the pecan pie filling ingredients and fold in chopped pecans.
- Spoon the pecan mixture over the baked pumpkin mixture.
- Top with pecan halves and bake (as per recipe below).
- Chill and serve with whipped cream.
Pre Make This Pie!
This pie is perfect for making ahead! Simple follow the recipe instructions, bake the pie, and chill, (without whipped cream) tightly covered in the refrigerator. The pie will set and taste even better the next day! Drizzle with easy caramel sauce or maple syrup for a flavor twist. Other desserts and pies that can be made ahead include this Praline Pumpkin Pie or this irresistible Pumpkin Crunch Cake.
- Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days. Make sure to store it in an airtight container so it doesn’t dry out.
- While pecan pies are great to freeze, freezing pumpkin pie isn’t recommended as the best way to maintain freshness, since it doesn’t thaw out well. So why not make a delicious pumpkin cheesecake for freezing instead?
Fave Festive Desserts
Did your family love this Pumpkin Pecan Pie? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Pumpkin Pecan Pie
- 1 9" pie shell unbaked
Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Pecan Pie Filling
- ⅔ cup corn syrup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup pecans ½ cup whole & ½ cup chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a deep dish pie plate with the pastry.
- In a large bowl combine all pumpkin pie filling ingredients. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the pumpkin filling mixture into the unbaked pie shell and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the pumpkin layer is baking, combine the pecan pie filling ingredients, except for the pecans. Once mixed, fold in the chopped pecans.
- Remove the pie from the oven and gently spoon the pecan filling over top of the pumpkin (do not pour it).
- Place the pecan halves evenly over the top of the pie. Place in the oven.
- After 20 minutes, cover the edges of the crust with foil or a pie shield. Reduce heat to 350°F and cook for an additional 35-40 minutes or until set.
- Remove from the oven and cool at room temperature for 30 minutes. Cool in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight completely.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
First time viewing your web page. Recipes look awesome. Can I get on your mailing list???
Hi Marilyn! To receive our newsletters to see more quick and easy recipes, you can sign up here or scroll down to the bottom of the post and you will see a signup box.
Intro says it makes 2 pies, but directions are for 1 pie shell for 8 servings.
Hi Susan, this recipe has been updated and only makes one pie. Enjoy!
Should this be refrigerated if made in advance?
Hi Heahter, I would pop in the fridge if making in advance and bring out in time to let it come back to room temperature before serving.
Just wondering if i can just use fresh pumpkin puree as i am in Australia and haven’t seen canned pumpkin??
We are so glad you enjoyed this! :) It’s such a delicious pie!
Should have been 5 stars, not sure why only 3 should highlighted?
Hello, this recipe looks wonderful! I’m looking forward to making it just need to reduce the recipe. If I want to make it for just one pie can I divide everything in half?
Yes, that will work just fine!
Love the recipes…they are really excellent everyone I’ve done. Thank you guys….
I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed them Jennifer!
Do you use pumpkin pure or pumpkin pie filling?
This recipe uses Pure pumpkin.
We love our pecans in the South this is a winner!
I fell in love with this recipe I wanted to try it. I went out yesterday and bought all the ingredients and made it today. I have to say it came out beautifully. I just wish I would have purchased some whip cream which I totally forgot about lol. Can’t wait to try other recipes I’ve saved in my phone.
I also made the garlic biscuits for dinner with our wings and they are all gone.
I’m so glad you enjoyed it Sharon!