Pumpkin Crunch Cake is the perfect Fall dessert!
This cake has all of the flavors and texture of a traditional pumpkin pie in a super easy recipe.
Simple to make, this recipe starts with cake mix and a can of pumpkin and ends with an amazing fall dessert.
This cake reminds me of pumpkin pie and it’s SUPER easy to make.
- It’s made in a 9×13 pan, so it’s perfect to feed a crowd.
- Pumpkin crunch cake is best made ahead so it’s the perfect holiday dessert.
- It’s super quick and easy to make with a box of yellow cake mix sprinkled over a pumpkin base!
Ingredients in Pumpkin Crunch Cake
Pumpkin Mixture – This recipe uses the same ingredients you’d add to pumpkin pie.
- Ensure you use canned pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling.
- Evaporated milk, eggs, and sugar are added to this recipe.
- Pumpkin pie spice can be replaced with cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg and ginger.
Cake Mix – You’ll need a box of yellow cake mix or you can use a box of spice cake mix.
Topping – Chopped pecans are sprinkled on top of the cake mix but other varieties of nuts can be used.
How to Make Pumpkin Crunch Cake
Perfect as a make ahead dessert or for Thanksgiving, this recipe is so easy to make.
- Mix the pumpkin mixture (per recipe below) and pour into a 9×13 pan.
- Sprinkle yellow cake mix evenly over the top of the batter.
- Top with pecans & drizzle melted butter over the top and bake.
Let the cake cool completely and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
How to Store
- In the Fridge: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Serve cold or reheat in the oven.
- In the Freezer: Leftovers can be frozen for up to 4 weeks. Freeze cooled portions in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside. Pop-out a portion and add it to a lunchbox or briefcase as a tasty mid-morning snack.
Did your family love this Pumpkin Crunch Cake? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Pumpkin Crunch Cake
- 15 ounces canned pumpkin
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, & salt. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Gently sprinkle the dry cake mix powder over the pumpkin batter and top with the pecans.
- Drizzle melted butter over the cake mix.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes uncovered. Cover with foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and uncover (be careful, the steam will be hot) and cool completely.
- Cut into squares and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
slightly adapted from Duncan Hines