Pumpkin Crunch Cake is the easiest way to serve pumpkin pie to a crowd! A rich layer of pumpkin pie is topped with pecans and a simple yellow cake streusel for the perfect fall dessert!
Pumpkin Pie Crunch Cake
Ahhh…. fall has arrived. ‘Tis the season for sweaters and yellow leaves (at least in my neck of the woods) and …. ALL things pumpkin. Of course, I’m one of those people that enjoys pumpkin things all year round, not just in the fall. Once the when the leaves start turning, I literally can’t stop dreaming about pumpkin spice lattes and pumpkin desserts!
Pumpkin Pie Crunch cake is one of those recipes that have been around forever and once you try it, you’ll know why! It’s lusciously delicious and super easy to make. Everyone seems to have a slightly different version, but of all of the ones I’ve made, I love this one best with yellow cake and pecans!
Pumpkin Dessert with Cake Mix
The bottom layer of the pumpkin crunch cake is a deliciously rich layer of pumpkin pie (and I love me a good pumpkin pie inspired dessert) and the topping is totally irresistible. A layer of pecans is topped with a crunchy streusel made from cake mix.
I have used spice cake, white cake and butter pecan cake in this pumpkin crunch cake and all three are delicious (yellow is my favorite though). This recipe calls for unsalted butter, salted does work just fine, however, the salt is quite noticeable. Should you use salted butter, you may like to skip the salt in the pumpkin portion of this recipe.
Pumpkin Crunch Cake is Best for a Crowd
This really is the simplest way to serve pumpkin pie to a crowd as it fills a 9X13 pan. And, it’s definitely a perfect way to end a fall meal. We sometimes serve this with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a drizzle of homemade caramel sauce.
Watch How to Make Pumpkin Pie Crunch Cake!
Pumpkin Pie Crunch
- 15.5 ounces pumpkin (1 15.5 oz can)
- 12 ounces evaporated milk (1 12 oz can)
- 3 eggs large
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 package yellow cake mix
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Gently sprinkle the cake mix powder over the pumpkin mixture top with pecans.
- Drizzle melted butter over the cake mix & pecans layer.
- Bake 25 minutes uncovered. Cover with foil and bake an additional 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and uncover (be careful, the steam will be hot). Cool completely.
- Cut into squares and serve with ice cream.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)