This Pumpkin Crunch Cake has all of the flavor (and texture) of a traditional pumpkin pie in a super easy recipe.
Simple to make, this recipe starts with a cake mix and a can of pumpkin and ends with an amazing fall dessert.
What is Pumpkin Crunch Cake?
- This is an easy dessert that reminds me of pumpkin pie.
- Since it makes a 9×13 pan, it’s perfect to feed a crowd.
- Pumpkin crunch cake is best made ahead so it’s the perfect holiday dessert.
- It’s super quick and easy to make with a box of yellow cake mix sprinkled over a pumpkin base!
Ingredients in Pumpkin Crunch Cake
PUMPKIN MIXTURE: This recipe uses the same ingredients you’d add to pumpkin pie.
Canned pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.
CAKE MIX: A standard yellow cake mix is what I usually use but try another flavor (like spice cake mix) to change it up.
TOPPING: Chopped pecans complement the pumpkin flavor, but so will walnuts or even toasted coconut.
How to Make Pumpkin Crunch Cake
Everyone will love this perfect pumpkin crunch cake!
- Mix the pumpkin mixture (per recipe below) and spread into a 9×13 pan.
- Sprinkle yellow cake mix evenly over the top of the batter.
- Top with pecans & drizzle melted butter over the top.
Let the cake cool completely and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
How to Store
- In the Fridge: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days. Serve cold or reheat in the oven.
- In the Freezer: Leftovers can be frozen for up to four weeks. Freeze cooled portions in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside. Pop-out a portion and add it to a lunchbox or briefcase as a tasty mid-morning snack.
Perfect Pumpkin Desserts
- Fluffy Pumpkin Pie Dip – ready in 5 mins
- Praline Pumpkin Pie – perfect flavor & texture
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars – made with Amaretto
- Pumpkin Cupcakes – all the flavors of fall
- Pumpkin Pie Recipe – best Thanksgiving dessert
Did your family love this Pumpkin Crunch Cake? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Pumpkin Crunch Cake
- 15 ounces canned pumpkin
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, & salt. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Gently sprinkle the cake mix powder over the pumpkin mixture and top with pecans.
- Drizzle melted butter over the cake mix & pecans layer.
- Bake 25 minutes uncovered. Cover with foil and bake an additional 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and uncover (be careful, the steam will be hot). Cool completely.
- Cut into squares and serve with ice cream.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
slightly adapted from Duncan Hines
I’ve made this recipe several times. I’ve always wondered is it better to bake the night before or within hours of eating? For instance this is going to a gathering tomorrow at noon? Can I make it tonight or wait? Thank you.
It can be made the night before Holly!
How long can this sit out? Making it at 11 am but not serving until 6:30 pm
It should be just fine left out for that time RJ!
Do you use pumpkin pie filling or pumpkin purée? Thank you
This recipe uses pumpkin puree. Enjoy Mike!
This was a hit. Even those who don’t like pumpkin, loved it. I didn’t have evaporated milk so I substituted equal amount of skim milk with a tbsp of corn startch. I topped it with walnuts instead of pecans because it’s what I had on hand. I will definitely be making this again.
I HATE pecans and almost all nuts added to recipes. Any other suggestions ? Because I love pumpkin anything and would like to try this.
You can leave them off or try a little bit of coconut in plate.
My family absolutely loves this!!! We give it a 5 star rating!!!
We couldn’t find the pumpkin spice at the store, so we made our own from a recipe. Also, we used the spice cake mix, and we found some pumpkin spice butter to melt and drizzle over top the pecans. It looks delicious! I can’t wait for dessert now!
How was it?
I’m making this today. My only question is… Do you use the whole box of cake mix on top of the pumpkin mixture?
Yes, the whole box is sprinkled over the pumpkin. Enjoy!
We couldn’t find the pumpkin spice at the store, so we made our own. Also, I’m using spice cake mix and pumpkin spice butter
I just had for Thanksgiving. Has a good flavor, but no crunch. I would put some brown sugar on top. Or maybe you have a suggestion to make it more crunchy.
Hi John, brown sugar sounds like a great addition. The crunch comes from the pecans in this recipe so you could add additional pecans after it is finished cooking for some extra crunch.
I have a question about the margarine, the picture shows 1 stick but calls for 1 cup which would be 2 sticks right?
Thank you so much…
You will need 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter in this recipe. Enjoy the recipe!
Could I use canned unsweetened full fat coconut milk instead of evaporated milk? Or what could I use to make it dairy free?
Sorry B, I have never tried to make this recipe dairy -ree so I am not sure if that would work in place of the evaporated milk. Maybe another reader has some suggestions!
Thank you. I hope someone can help. I won’t be making it for Thanksgiving so I have time. Appreciate it.
If you do attempt it, we would love to hear how it turns out! Happy Thanksgiving!
Hi B! I know it’s been a year since you asked. I just made this by reducing some dairy free milk – I simmered 16 oz for about 30 minutes and it reduced down to 12 oz. I used Next milk and it came out great, but I think any kind will work. This recipe is delicious!
In the recipe it says 15 1/2 ounces of pumpkin filling which doesn’t sound right
I use a whole 15 oz can of pumpkin right
Sorry for the confusion, yes, you will need one 15 oz can.
Does it keep for 4 weeks or 4 months in the freezer? The recipe notes say both.
Sorry for the confusion Alex, this can be frozen for up to 4 weeks.
This is one of my favorite pumpkin recipes! I have to make modifications due to a Nutmeg allergy, and use just cinnamon. I’ve tried it with Allspice, but just cinnamon is better, in out opinions. I also use a mix of pecans and walnuts on top. We also love it with warmed caramel drizzled over the top!
As a matter of fact, I’m going to make it now!
Do you have to flip the cake after it’s cooled or do you serve it crust side (pecans) up?
The texture is quite soft, like a pumpkin pie, so it wouldn’t be able to flip. This is served with the nuts on top.
This is truly an amazing and delicious pumpkin dessert! I did add twice as many Pecans since we are a lover of them and I did have to cook it and additional 10 or 12 minutes.