Pumpkin Crunch Cake is a delicious dessert even easier than pie! Instead of a pastry crust, a nutty, crumbly cake topping is layered over sweet and spicy pumpkin pie filling.
The best part is that this cake is effortless to put together!
Like a traditional pumpkin pie, this dessert delivers all the warm and cozy flavors of the traditional Thanksgiving dessert, and then some. To complete the perfect fall dessert top with whipped cream or ice cream!
Easier than Pie!
‘Tis the season for sweaters and yellow leaves and …. ALL things pumpkin from pumpkin spice lattes to pumpkin desserts!
This fabulous treat is a simple twist on the Thanksgiving classic. A layer of pumpkin pie filling is spread into a pan and it is topped with cake mix, drizzled with butter, studded with pecans, and baked.
Serve pumpkin pie crunch with a scoop of ice-cream or a drizzle of homemade caramel sauce!
How to Make Pumpkin Crunch Cake
This is the best recipe if you love pumpkin pie but don’t like fussing with pastry dough. Here’s all there is to it:
- Mix the pumpkin layer ingredients.
- Place in a baking dish and sprinkle with yellow cake mix.
- Drizzle with butter and pecans.
Bake, cool, and enjoy!
- Instead of pecans, you could substitute chopped walnuts.
- Swap out yellow cake mix for white cake or even spice cake.
- You can also bump up the spice with a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg over the top.
- You can easily make homemade pumpkin pie spice.
How Long Will Pumpkin Pie Crunch Last?
Whether you are keeping pumpkin pie crunch on the countertop, in the refrigerator or freezer, they key to making it last is storing it in a tightly covered container.
- In the Fridge: Leftovers can be stored for up to four days. The topping will get soggy over time but will remain just as tasty as when fresh.
- In the Freezer: Leftover can be frozen for up to four months. When thawed the toppings will get soggy but it will still be delicious!
For best results and texture, plan to serve it oven fresh.
Pumpkin Desserts Galore
- Fluffy Pumpkin Pie Dip – ready in 5 mins!
- Praline Pumpkin Pie – perfect flavor & texture!
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars – made with Amaretto
- Pumpkin Cupcakes – all the flavors of fall!
- Pumpkin Pie Recipe – a staple of autumn
Pumpkin Pie Crunch Cake
- 15.5 ounces canned pumpkin
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 3 eggs large
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Gently sprinkle the cake mix powder over the pumpkin mixture and top with pecans.
- Drizzle melted butter over the cake mix & pecans layer.
- Bake 25 minutes uncovered. Cover with foil and bake an additional 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and uncover (be careful, the steam will be hot). Cool completely.
- Cut into squares and serve with ice cream.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
slightly adapted from Duncan Hines