This Pumpkin Crunch Cake has all of the flavor (and texture) of a traditional pumpkin pie in a super easy recipe.
Simple to make, this recipe starts with a cake mix and a can of pumpkin and ends with an amazing fall dessert.
What is Pumpkin Crunch Cake?
- This is an easy dessert that reminds me of pumpkin pie.
- Since it makes a 9×13 pan, it’s perfect to feed a crowd.
- Pumpkin crunch cake is best made ahead so it’s the perfect holiday dessert.
- It’s super quick and easy to make with a box of yellow cake mix sprinkled over a pumpkin base!
Ingredients in Pumpkin Crunch Cake
PUMPKIN MIXTURE: This recipe uses the same ingredients you’d add to pumpkin pie.
Canned pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.
CAKE MIX: A standard yellow cake mix is what I usually use but try another flavor (like spice cake mix) to change it up.
TOPPING: Chopped pecans complement the pumpkin flavor, but so will walnuts or even toasted coconut.
How to Make Pumpkin Crunch Cake
Everyone will love this perfect pumpkin crunch cake!
- Mix the pumpkin mixture (per recipe below) and spread into a 9×13 pan.
- Sprinkle yellow cake mix evenly over the top of the batter.
- Top with pecans & drizzle melted butter over the top.
Let the cake cool completely and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
How to Store
- In the Fridge: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days. Serve cold or reheat in the oven.
- In the Freezer: Leftovers can be frozen for up to four weeks. Freeze cooled portions in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside. Pop-out a portion and add it to a lunchbox or briefcase as a tasty mid-morning snack.
Perfect Pumpkin Desserts
- Fluffy Pumpkin Pie Dip – ready in 5 mins
- Praline Pumpkin Pie – perfect flavor & texture
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars – made with Amaretto
- Pumpkin Cupcakes – all the flavors of fall
- Pumpkin Pie Recipe – best Thanksgiving dessert
Did your family love this Pumpkin Crunch Cake? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Pumpkin Crunch Cake
- 15 ounces canned pumpkin
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, & salt. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Gently sprinkle the cake mix powder over the pumpkin mixture and top with pecans.
- Drizzle melted butter over the cake mix & pecans layer.
- Bake 25 minutes uncovered. Cover with foil and bake an additional 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and uncover (be careful, the steam will be hot). Cool completely.
- Cut into squares and serve with ice cream.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
slightly adapted from Duncan Hines