Roasted Rosemary Chicken is so elegantly flavored, it’s going to be a family favorite all year round. Bone-in chicken thighs are seasoned with rosemary and garlic and oven-roasted with potatoes and veggies.
Everyone loves baked chicken breasts and roasted cornish hen but I can’t deny how tender and juicy bone-in chicken thighs are!
How to Roast Chicken
I often make Baked Chicken Thighs because they’re tender and juicy. When placing the chicken over potatoes and vegetables, the juices drip into the veggies and add loads of flavor to the entire meal.
POTATOES: Parboil potatoes/onions to speed up cooking the time and ensure everything is done at the same time. Parboiling means partly cooking in boiling water (I use this same technique with grilled baby potatoes).
VEGETABLES: Season veggies (per the recipe below or use your own favorite seasonings). I use a combo of peppers, zucchini, and onions but any veggie is great in this! Mushrooms, eggplant or asparagus are other favorites!
SEASONINGS: The chicken is seasoned simply for this recipe, check your local grocery for fresh rosemary. It will last a long time in the fridge but it can also be dried on the counter and kept for a long time. If you have fresh rosemary, add an extra sprig or two to the dish before roasting. Be sure not to use too much though, the pine-y scent of rosemary can be strong.
CHICKEN: Season the chicken and brown skin side down for a few minutes. This starts the cooking process but more importantly, it ensures an extra crispy skin (and who doesn’t love extra crispy skin)!
To Roast Rosemary Chicken
Time For Roasting: Place the chicken on top of vegetables and potatoes and roast them all together for about 20 to 25 minutes in a 425°F oven. This recipe is a bit quicker than a typical chicken thigh recipe because the chicken starts cooking on the stovetop while browning the skin.
Temperature for Chicken Thighs: When cooked, the chicken thighs should reach 165°F degrees on a meat thermometer and the vegetables will be tender.
Rosemary Chicken is a full meal in one pan, just like sheet pan chicken & veggies. Add in a tossed salad or caesar salad and some garlic bread.
How to Reheat Roasted Chicken
The best way to reheat rosemary chicken is to add a little chicken broth or water to the chicken in a casserole dish, cover with aluminum foil and reheat in a preheated oven set to 350°F for about 15 minutes. The liquid will gently steam the chicken.
Once it is fully heated, adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper and serve over the potatoes and the vegetables. Or, you can reheat everything together using the same method!
More Recipes Starring Chicken
- Oven Baked Chicken Breasts – delicious 5 ingredient seasoning!
- Grilled Chicken Fajitas – perfect summer meal
- Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Thighs – sweet & flavorful marinade!
- Stuffed Chicken Thighs with Bacon – only 3 ingredients
- Crispy Baked Chicken Legs– healthy, easy weeknight meal
- Sheet Pan Greek Chicken – full meal on one pan!
- Crispy Lemon Chicken Thighs – super flavorful
- Garlic Butter Roast Chicken – a family favorite!
Did you enjoy this Roasted Rosemary Chicken? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Roasted Rosemary Chicken
- ¾ pound red-skinned potatoes diced (or halved if they're baby potatoes)
- ½ onion chopped, red or white
- 1 ½ -2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary chopped, or 1 teaspoon dry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups coarsely chopped vegetables bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Boil potatoes for about 8 minutes or until slightly tender (they will continue to cook in the oven). (For softer onion, add onions to the water in the last 2 minutes, optional). Drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine garlic, lemon juice, rosemary, olive oil, and salt & pepper. Toss with potatoes and remaining vegetables.
- Preheat an oven-safe skillet on the stove over medium heat. Generously season chicken with salt & pepper and cook the chicken skin side down about 5 minutes or until browned. Turn chicken over and brown about 5 minutes.
- Add all of the veggies including the potatoes nestling between the chicken thighs.
- Roast uncovered 20-25 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165°F and the juices run clear. Do not overcook.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
this recipe was fantastic. the flavor on the chicken and veggies was so yummy! this is now on a regular rotation for dinner
I am so glad you enjoyed this chicken Shelly!
Easy and so good. The vegetables add color…and yum!!!
So glad you loved this one Deborah!
“When placing the chicken over potatoes and vegetables the juices drip into the veggies and add loads of flavor to the entire meal”.
But the recipes says, “Add all of the veggies including the potatoes nestling between the chicken thighs”.
Thanks for the recipe and will try it putting the chicken on a rack over the vegetables.
Really good with room to add your own touch, if you want to. My husband and kids loved it. I added fresh green beans and summer squash to the above veggies and it was great!
Where do I add the rosemary and olive oil mixture?
Great question, it is mixed with the vegetables.