Nanaimo bars are one of those things that I just can’t resist. A chocolatey nutty base topped with a sweet buttery custard layer and more chocolate.
Oh, and a side note, I have to tell you that I loved cutting into the squares to find a perfect little heart (in the middle square above).
Once you have spread on the top layer of chocolate, let it sit in the fridge for about 5 minutes. Remove from the fridge and score lines through the chocolate (I use the sharp end of a wooden skewer), this will make the squares easy to cut without breaking the top layer. Note: Graham crumbs are available in the baking area or online.
You will need Custard Powder for this recipe. It can usually be found with the puddings in the grocery store and is often found in a canister. You can also order it online on Amazon.
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
- 2 cups graham crumbs
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup melted butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 oz semi-sweet chocolate (or chocolate chips)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9 pan with foil.
- In a medium bowl mix all of the ingredients in the bottom layer until well combined. Press into prepared pan and bake 11 minutes. Cool completely.
- Combine custard powder, milk & vanilla. Mix on medium with 1/4 cup butter. Beat in powdered sugar and mix until well combined and fluffy. Spread onto bottom layer and refrigerate.
- Microwave chocolate and butter on 40% power about 45 second. Stir and continue to microwave at 15 second increments until smooth & melted. Spread over custard layer and refrigerate about 5 minutes. Remove from fridge and score lines for cutting.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight and cut into bars.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)