These easy no roll Sugar Cookies are a cinch to make! Simply mix the ingredients together and bake; no chilling, no rolling pins and no messy floured counters!
Sugar cookies are a classic. In the past we’ve made rolled sugar cookies which are perfect for decorating but sometimes I just want the cookie without all of the fuss! This dough is also great for freezing!
This sugar cookie recipe is the perfect solution. Not only do they not require rolling the dough, they don’t require chilling time or hours of work. Just a simple cookie dough mixed and baked.
These cookies are baked at a lower temperature than a traditional sugar cookie and the result is a beautifully soft cookie (you’ll want to ensure the edges don’t brown).
Using both butter and shortening gives these cookies a slightly crisp outside with a soft chewy sugar cookie center. We like them plain but they’re also delicous frosted with lemon buttercream or your favorite buttercream flavor and sprinkles.
No Roll Sugar Cookies Recipe
- ½ cup butter unsalted
- ½ cup shortening (not butter flavored)
- 1 ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Cream butter & shortening on medium until combined. Add sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Continue beating until fluffy, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add in egg yolks & vanilla until combined.
- Beat in flour a little bit at a time. Divide into 24 even pieces and roll into balls.
- Bake 15-17 minutes or just until set (you do not want the cookies to brown). Cool on the cookie sheet about 3 minutes and cool completely on a wire rack.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
If you’re going to be hosting or participating in a Cookie Exchange, I have some free printable invitations & recipe cards you’ll want to check out!
More Recipes You’ll Love
Slightly adapted from Better Homes & Gardens