This Buckeye Recipe is the star of every cookie plate alongside my fave Shortbread Cookies and Gingerbread Cookies! While this is one of our favorite Christmas Cookie Recipes, we actually make them all year long!
Buckeyes are a delicious no-bake peanut butter ball dipped in chocolate. If you like Peanut Butter Cups, you’ll love these easy treats!
The state of Ohio is famous for its Buckeye tree and keeping the nut from a Buckeye tree is considered good luck! Anyone who gets one of these chocolate peanut butter balls will be lucky indeed, since this easy buckeye recipe is so yummy!
What is a Buckeye?
As a food, a Buckeye is an easy, no-bake dessert! Buckeye candy is made up of rich and creamy peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate. And it doesn’t matter if you prefer creamy or crunchy peanut butter, any variety will do!
If you’re adding these to your Christmas cookie collection, try dipping them in white chocolate and then decorate with red and green sprinkles and watch them disappear before your eyes!
How to Make Peanut Butter Balls
Sometimes called ‘peanut butter balls’ or ‘buckeye cookies,’ this recipe is basically just a few no-bake ingredients that are probably already in the pantry.
- Combine peanut butter, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla. Chill.
- Roll into balls and chill.
- Dip in chocolate and enjoy!
Here are a few tips to make this easy buckeye recipe even easier:
- Dust your hands with a bit of powdered sugar when rolling the peanut butter balls so the mixture doesn’t stick to your hands.
- Some buckeyes can be smaller and some can be larger and since there is no baking, there’s no need to worry about them baking evenly.
- Adding a bit of butter or coconut oil to the chocolate keeps it from cracking.
- Making sure the chocolate is warm and the peanut butter balls are very very cold will give the best results for dipping.
- Store in the refrigerator until serving.
This buckeye balls recipe will be a holiday go-to for potlucks, parties, school functions or even just for a fun, stay-at-home family night! Buckeyes can made and frozen in advance for a quick, grab and go dessert for everyone who loves peanut butter and chocolate…and who doesn’t?
More Peanut Butter Desserts
- Peanut Butter Blossoms – Classic!
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Peanut Butter Lasagna (Video) – Reader favorite!
- Peanut Butter Pie
- Peanut Butter Cornflake Cookies (no bake)– Vintage recipe!
- Easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge – So easy!
Easy Buckeye Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 cups chocolate chips semi-sweet
- 1 tablespoon shortening or coconut oil
- Combine peanut butter, butter and vanilla with a mixer on medium until fluffy.
- Mix in powdered sugar a little bit at a time until incorporated. Chill mixture 30 minutes.
- Roll into balls and place on a parchment lined pan. Chill mixture 30 minutes.
- Combine chocolate chips and shortening in a small bowl. Microwave at 50% power for 1 minute. Stir and continue microwaving in 30 second increments just until melted.
- Place a toothpick into each peanut butter ball and dip in chocolate leaving a little bit of the peanut butter peeking out the top.
- Place on a parchment lined pan and chill.