This snickerdoodles recipe is quick to make and loaded with cinnamon sugar flavor! A thick and tender cookie with a cinnamon sugar coating.
What is a Snickerdoodle
A snickerdoodle is a soft and chewy sugar cinnamon cookie with a lovely cracked surface and the unusual addition of cream of tartar.
Cream of tartar is actually a byproduct of wine production and adds a subtle tart flavor to these delicious cookies! You can find it online at Amazon or in the baking or spice aisle of most grocery stores.
How to Make Snickerdoodles
These cookies are made in a traditional way like most cookies…
- cream butter, sugar, and eggs (recipe below)
- add dry ingredients
- roll into balls and roll in cinnamon sugar
Bake the snickerdoodles until the edges just start to brown. You do not want to overbake them.
To make snickerdoodles without Cream of Tartar you’ll want to substitute it. Some people suggest things like vinegar or lemon juice. As with all baking, keep in mind that any alterations to a recipe can change the texture and quite possibly the flavor of the cookie.
In this recipe, use 2.5 teaspoons baking powder and skip both the cream of tartar and the baking soda. (Baking powder is made of baking soda and cream of tartar and a bit of cornstarch).
To Make Ahead
Snickerdoodles can be made ahead of time and frozen. Prepare as directed and cool completely. Once cooled, place in freezer bags and freeze up to 4 months.
More Cookie Recipes You’ll Love
- Soft and Chewy Ginger Snaps
- Spritz Cookies
- Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Best Ever Monster Cookies
- Candy Cane Cookies
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- 2 ⅔ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅓ cups sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- With mixer on medium, combine sugar, butter and eggs. Stir in flour mixture.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar for topping in a small bowl. Divide dough into 32 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Roll balls in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.