Instant Pot Chicken and Vegetables is a quick way to get a hearty, healthy dinner on the table fast! Juicy herb-seasoned chicken thighs are cooked in broth with nourishing, fresh veggies.
Can You Cook Chicken From Frozen In An Instant Pot
One of the best reasons to keep an Instant Pot in your kitchen arsenal is that pressure cooking is both a convenient and safe way to take meat and poultry straight from the freezer to the table in well under an hour.
There are a couple of ways to prepare chicken from frozen. You can skip the searing step and add a couple of minutes to the cooking time. Or, pre-thaw like this:
- At the bottom of the Instant Pot, place chicken thighs on a trivet and add a cup of water.
- Set to high for one minute.
- Quick-release, discard the water and proceed with the recipe immediately.
How To Cook Instant Pot Chicken
Home-cooked comfort doesn’t get much easier than this! This recipe is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Sear chicken in the Instant Pot.
- Add trivet and layer veggies on the bottom, top with chicken.
- Cover and cook for the allotted time.
To Get Crispy Skin
This chicken is browned before cooking which adds flavor. Once it pressure cooks, the skin isn’t crispy so I place it on a foil lined pan and broil it to get it nice and crispy. (While it’s broiling, this is a great time to make a gravy out of the juices if you’d like).
- Meat: Chicken thighs and drumsticks provide the most flavor, but you can substitute breasts if you prefer. White or dark meat turkey is another option. Chicken breasts are leaner and can dry out (they also vary in size) so be sure not to overcook them.
- Seasonings: Swap out seasonings for your favorites or what you have on hand. Or, spice things up with fajita seasoning.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Chicken?
For a touch of green on the side, consider making a peppery arugula salad drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette.
Leftovers will keep in the fridge, tightly covered for four days, or in the freezer for up to four months. Use your Instant Pot or microwave to reheat frozen or refrigerated leftovers.
Thanks to Instant Pot chicken, it’s easy to make low-fat and healthy fast food at home!
Delicious Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Ham & Bean Soup – no soaking required!!
- Instant Pot Spaghetti – classic comfort food!
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin – 30 min meal
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice – ultimate comfort food!
- Instant Pot Chili – great for a crowd
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken – simple & easy
Instant Pot Chicken and Vegetables
- 2 pounds meaty chicken pieces with bone thighs, drumsticks, breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ pounds baby potatoes
- ½ red onion cut into pieces
- 2 carrots cut into large pieces
- 8 mushrooms halved
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Turn a 6QT Instant Pot to saute. Season chicken skin with salt & pepper.
- Add olive oil to the Instant Pot and brown chicken on both sides, about 5 minutes per side or until browned. This may need to be done in a few batches.
- Pour broth into the bottom of the Instant Pot and scrape up any brown bits in the bottom to avoid the burn notice. Add the trivet to the bottom.
- Toss vegetables with 2 teaspoons olive oil, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Place in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Place chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Set instant pot to high pressure and cook for 13 minutes. Natural release 5 minutes and quick release pressure any remaining pressure.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!