Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup is an easy and delicious way to enjoy a classic comfort food staple (with no soaking required)! Tender ham chunks are mixed with our favorite bean mixture, celery, carrots, and onions to create the perfect cozy soup!
I am so excited to partner with Hurst Beans and to share exactly how easy it is to cook beans in an Instant Pot! There is no need to pre-soak them so instead of waiting hours to soak, this meal is on the table in about 90 minutes!
Hurst’s HamBeens® 15 BEAN SOUP® is the main ingredient in our favorite Ham and Bean Soup recipe (and to be honest we can’t get enough 15 Bean Chili either). This bowl of comfort is a favorite way to use up our holiday ham and start off our New Year!
You can find these beans in the dry bean section of almost any grocery store (or you can order them online). Along with the beans, a seasoning packet is included in each package of 15 Bean Soup making it simple and perfectly seasoned every time!
How To Make Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup
To make this Instant Pot ham and bean soup recipe:
- Rinse the beans.
- Add olive oil and onion to the Instant Pot and sauté about 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients (per recipe below), including the seasoning packet from the HamBeens beans, and stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and cook on HIGH pressure for 60 minutes.
- Quick-release, then remove the ham bone. Add tomatoes and tomato juice and the meat from the ham bone.
Tips For Making Ham And Bean Soup
- Ham If you don’t have a leftover ham bone, a ham hock from the grocery store or your local butcher will work perfectly. Look for one with a bit of meat on it, so you can add it to the soup once it’s cooked.
- Stock or Broth Chicken stock or turkey stock adds great flavor. If you prefer more liquid in your soup, add a couple of extra cups of broth to the Instant Pot.
- Cooking Beans When cooking with beans, always add acidic ingredients such as tomatoes or lemon juice after the beans are cooked through. The acid binds to the beans shell and makes it harder for water to permeate them to cook them.
What To Serve With Ham And Bean Soup
If you want to add some toppings, we love adding a dollop of sour cream, cilantro, cheddar cheese, or crispy bacon!
Can You Freeze Bean Soup
Beans hold up well to freezing making this the perfect freezer meal for the cold winter months. Once cooled, transfer the soup into individual freezer bags or containers and freeze for up to 6 months.
To defrost, just add the soup to a saucepan over medium-low heat until heated through.
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Broth (or Turkey) – great for this recipe!
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese – kid approved
- Instant Pot Beef Stew – super easy
- Instant Pot Chili – so comforting
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice – weeknight favorite
No Instant Pot? No problem!
Instant Pot Ham & Bean Soup
- 1 package Hambeens® 15 BEAN SOUP®
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 cup celery (approx 2 stalks), diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 1 ham bone ham hock or 2 cups leftover ham
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 14 oz diced tomatoes with juice
- Rinse beans and drain. Sort any unwanted debris and set seasoning packet aside.
- Turn instant pot on to saute. Add olive oil and onion and saute until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, including the seasoning packet from the beans, and stir.
- Place the lid on, and cook on high pressure for 60 minutes. Quick release pressure.
- Open the lid and remove ham bone or ham hock. Add tomatoes with juice, turn onto saute and allow to simmer while picking the ham off of the bone.
- Return the meat to the Instant Pot and stir and serve.